• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (6 Viewers)

Deffinitely more detail with the TN. I have mine on most of the time, even with the E-M1 and its "small" ;) sensor.
See you in a few days....

Deffinitely more detail with the TN. I have mine on most of the time, even with the E-M1 and its "small" ;) sensor.
See you in a few days....
I think the pictures are displayed in the other order, however the light with sun breaking through mist is better on the second one without the TN. The intention was not to share for direct side-by-side comparison. I have additional pictures taken with/without TN, same light and almost same angle, could post on the TN thread if you are interested.

Scope: Celestron 80ED f7.5 600mm
Camera: Olympus E-3
80mm extension tube

Wagtail:
iso 100
1/400s
square crop (4:3 - to 3:3)

Blackbird
iso 100
1/500s

Nuthatch
iso 400
1/250s

not sure, some yellow songbird of sorts
iso 400
1/650s

Magpie
iso 400
1/400s
uncropped

Very nice images!!!

Sedge Warbler

Have been quite successful this season in locating and capturing these charming creatures as they make brief appearances, emerging from the depth of reed belts. Long focal length certainly helps in getting detail.

I personally like the posture in this one. And the bokeh is quite nice too.

E-M5 1000ISO ~80% crop
TS102 + telenegative 1.45x from Zuiko 100-200 lens

Attachments

• Sedge_Warbler_Acrocephalus_schoenobaenus_11.jpg
    Sedge_Warbler_Acrocephalus_schoenobaenus_11.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 57
Have been quite successful this season in locating and capturing these charming creatures as they make brief appearances, emerging from the depth of reed belts. Long focal length certainly helps in getting detail.

I personally like the posture in this one. And the bokeh is quite nice too.

E-M5 1000ISO ~80% crop
TS102 + telenegative 1.45x from Zuiko 100-200 lens

Nice !

Hi Paul

Your picture of the pigeon looks so clear and sharp. I just got the Nikon D3300 and teleplus NAS x2 MC7 mounted it on my skywatcher 80mm with 52mm extension tube but my picture a bit softer than yours. Please let me know what is the setting in your camera ? (such WB, shutter speed, picture quality D-lighting (ON/OFF), noise reduction etc..

Thanks

A couple from the garden today, both taken with the Teleplus 2X macro focusing teleconverter. The little Field/Wood Mouse is getting to be a regular visitor to the bird table. It's interesting to see the birds reaction when they visit and it is just sat there. Both photos uncropped, ISO 1600.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Your picture of the pigeon looks so clear and sharp. I just got the Nikon D3300 and teleplus NAS x2 MC7 mounted it on my skywatcher 80mm with 52mm extension tube but my picture a bit softer than yours. Please let me know what is the setting in your camera ? (such WB, shutter speed, picture quality D-lighting (ON/OFF), noise reduction etc..

Thanks

I did virtually no post processing for that one. In Nikon ViewNX 2 I moved the sharpening slider just one notch to the right. The sharpening pointer will be between the first two dots. This amount of sharpening is very subtle, you almost don't see a change but I find any more than this and it starts to look a bit aggressive. The only other change I made was to set the color booster to the nature setting and I moved the slider to 21. Then I export the image as a Tiff without resizing, no compression etc. Then I open it in Photoshop and resize the image to 1024 wide. The I use the smart sharpen function in PS which I like a lot for sharpening. The settings for that were - leave in 'Basic' mode, set 'Radius' to 0.5px, in the 'Remove' box set it to 'lens blur' and also tick the 'More Accurate' box. The Wood Pigeon already had a lot of detail so I only used around 20% Smart Sharpening. Again the difference was only very subtle without adding any sharpening artifacts.

I haven't checked to see which of these have an effect when shooting in RAW but my camera settings are -

Shoot in RAW
ISO was 1600
Auto white balance
Active D Lighting set to ON
Color Space sRGB
Noise reduction set to Off

As far as I know, the ViewNX 2 software can make use of the Active D Lighting setting if you have it set to ON. ViewNX 2 also does some noise removal to the RAW whether you set noise reduction to OFF or ON. I set it to off if I want to edit in Lightroom. Lightroom can't make use of the Active D Lighting setting as far as I know. I mostly just use ViewNX 2 but if I want zero noise removal then I go to Lightroom. For posting photos on here, ViewNX 2 does a very good job.

Here's a 100% crop from the same Wood Pigeon photo taken with the Teleplus 2X macro focusing TC.

The TC is quite sharp so any softness will usually come down to air conditions.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSC_3414_2.jpg
    DSC_3414_2.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 61
Thank you for your help.

How far were you away from the pigeon ? What is the configuration on the camera setup ?

eg:
Body + TC2+extension tube(?mm)

Thanks

I did virtually no post processing for that one. In Nikon ViewNX 2 I moved the sharpening slider just one notch to the right. The sharpening pointer will be between the first two dots. This amount of sharpening is very subtle, you almost don't see a change but I find any more than this and it starts to look a bit aggressive. The only other change I made was to set the color booster to the nature setting and I moved the slider to 21. Then I export the image as a Tiff without resizing, no compression etc. Then I open it in Photoshop and resize the image to 1024 wide. The I use the smart sharpen function in PS which I like a lot for sharpening. The settings for that were - leave in 'Basic' mode, set 'Radius' to 0.5px, in the 'Remove' box set it to 'lens blur' and also tick the 'More Accurate' box. The Wood Pigeon already had a lot of detail so I only used around 20% Smart Sharpening. Again the difference was only very subtle without adding any sharpening artifacts.

I haven't checked to see which of these have an effect when shooting in RAW but my camera settings are -

Shoot in RAW
ISO was 1600
Auto white balance
Active D Lighting set to ON
Color Space sRGB
Noise reduction set to Off

As far as I know, the ViewNX 2 software can make use of the Active D Lighting setting if you have it set to ON. ViewNX 2 also does some noise removal to the RAW whether you set noise reduction to OFF or ON. I set it to off if I want to edit in Lightroom. Lightroom can't make use of the Active D Lighting setting as far as I know. I mostly just use ViewNX 2 but if I want zero noise removal then I go to Lightroom. For posting photos on here, ViewNX 2 does a very good job.

Here's a 100% crop from the same Wood Pigeon photo taken with the Teleplus 2X macro focusing TC.

The TC is quite sharp so any softness will usually come down to air conditions.

Paul.

Thank you for your help.

How far were you away from the pigeon ? What is the configuration on the camera setup ?

eg:
Body + TC2+extension tube(?mm)

Thanks

The pigeon was only 6m (20 feet) away but I find the TC sharp at all distances if the air is right. Configuration was pretty much as you listed, Camera body - TC - T-ring with the 2" scope adapter - 70mm extension tube. In the front of the 2" scope adapter I also have mounted an old diaphragm taken from a zoom lens and the iris is about half closed. This just improves contrast, I doubt it alters sharpness. Into the front of the diaphragm I have a 3" long tube screwed into it. This is a blackened tube from an old zoom lens which again helps achieve maximum contrast. See photo.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSC_3439.jpg
    DSC_3439.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 45
Nice Indigo Bunting Kev and good video Tord.

I've only tried the movie mode on the D3300 once so far and haven't played with the settings yet. I filmed this field Mouse on my bird table and according to the camera I filmed it at 50fps 1080 in standard quality (there's a high setting) and wind noise cancellation was set to Off.

This was through the SW80ED with the Teleplus 2X Macro TC. I had the tripod axis unlocked and I was holding the camera so apologies for a little bouncing around. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyiVTlTjnHs&feature=youtu.be

Paul.

Thanks guys, been trying to get a pic of one for sometime now. Lately i've been trying to get a nice pic of a Rufous-sided Towhee but man are they hard to capture. Although the male has stronger colors i actually like the female better. I'll throw some pics up of what i have so far. Not as good as the Indigo but hey i got it.

Paul your video is great, that 2x TC really does an awesome job. That Mouse is at his own buffet, a slice of heaven. :)
The Canon 500D does 1080 at 20fps what an odd frame rate also 720 at 29fps.

Last edited:
Thanks Jules, Kev and Paul.

For a first attempt I am quite pleased with the results, although the first scene could have been shortened when compiling the movie. I should also have loosened the head a bit more for smoother panning but it was not the intention to shoot video in the first place. Anyhow the Grebes were cooperative and stayed long enough, allowing me to take the pictures I wanted after which it struck my mind the E-M5 has video capabilities.

Any suggestions for a directional microphone at a reasonable price point?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back