• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$3000 Aus to spend. What lens to get? (1 Viewer)

Scottymc

I have been wondering over this over and over. A bit of history,
I like to shoot animals primarily. Lots of birds and small song birds in the Mornings and afternoons (before and after work) And if i can get out on the weekends the light is good so its not so critical.
I have a Sigma 150-500 atm (Which i find the IQ to be best at F8+. I find that before and after work i am pushing 1600+ iso, (1600 Would be minimum). I am after something that i can shoot with in these lighting conditions. I do have a restricted budget and maybe i am looking for something that is from a higher budget at a lower budget cost haha. Champagne on a beer budget B :).
Ive trawled the internet looking for information, I am only 28 so the lack of IS does not bother me at all. I have thought about this and have turned the OS on the 150-500 off and have not noticed any difference, in Fact the OS used to annoy me cause in times of critical focus it would jump sometimes and move along way (maybe i was shaking to much, But without the OS it doesnt do it.
I shoot with a 7d which is a fantastic camera.
Dont get me wrong the 150-500 is an amazing lens for the cost. i just need something i can shoot in lower light.
Any tips from experience birdiers!
I have been looking at the 400 F5.6 and while i think the IQ is amazing, I think the minimum focusing distance will get to me being in the bush alot, I have thought about hte 300 F4 with Tc's but people say the IQ is bad, Maybe the sigma 120-300 + Tc? see god i dont know, Its soo hard to find a useful honest opinion about lenses, i am hoping here i can get atleast some sound advice.
Many thanks
Scotty

This thread type is becoming abit habitual, write down what criteria the lens has to meet in decreasing order, and then set about looking for a lens that fits the bill. For example you say you don't IS because your 28?, personally I'd be looking to keep IS even if you have a good holding technique but anyway..., you can rule out lenses with IS as your paying extra for it. That leaves you with 400mm f5.6 & 120-300mm sigma, the sigma has the smaller MF and has a better aperture helping you to drop your ISO so it sounds perfect for you...however it is softer than 400mm f5.6, slower focusing, heavier, more expensive.

Even better post a clear list in order of importance what the lens must meet/have on here and im sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Ryan

I have been wondering over this over and over. A bit of history,
I like to shoot animals primarily. Lots of birds and small song birds in the Mornings and afternoons (before and after work) And if i can get out on the weekends the light is good so its not so critical.
I have a Sigma 150-500 atm (Which i find the IQ to be best at F8+. I find that before and after work i am pushing 1600+ iso, (1600 Would be minimum). I am after something that i can shoot with in these lighting conditions. I do have a restricted budget and maybe i am looking for something that is from a higher budget at a lower budget cost haha. Champagne on a beer budget B :).
Ive trawled the internet looking for information, I am only 28 so the lack of IS does not bother me at all. I have thought about this and have turned the OS on the 150-500 off and have not noticed any difference, in Fact the OS used to annoy me cause in times of critical focus it would jump sometimes and move along way (maybe i was shaking to much, But without the OS it doesnt do it.
I shoot with a 7d which is a fantastic camera.
Dont get me wrong the 150-500 is an amazing lens for the cost. i just need something i can shoot in lower light.
Any tips from experience birdiers!
I have been looking at the 400 F5.6 and while i think the IQ is amazing, I think the minimum focusing distance will get to me being in the bush alot, I have thought about hte 300 F4 with Tc's but people say the IQ is bad, Maybe the sigma 120-300 + Tc? see god i dont know, Its soo hard to find a useful honest opinion about lenses, i am hoping here i can get atleast some sound advice.
Many thanks
Scotty

I have the 300mm f4, I find the IQ very good with a Kenko 1.4x, these shots are taken using the 1.4x.

Attachments

• IMG_2528_cr b.jpg
    IMG_2528_cr b.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2356_cr b.jpg
    IMG_2356_cr b.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2965_cr b 2.jpg
    IMG_2965_cr b 2.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 89
All of the L lens are going to provide you with great IQ

The 300mm f4 has the shortest MF and also the fastest of the 400mm f5.6 and 100-400 IS L.

But your loosing 100mm of focal length, if you can deal with loosing it then it sounds the lens for you

Ryan

I'm a Nikonian but in your situation I'd recommend a 300mm as Joe suggested.
Just remember that low light in Australia does not equate to low light for the Brits, particularly the Scots :-O (I spent 3 years there so know what I'm talking about - loved every day too), and you are talking to a few from that part of the world on here. I think f/4 in Aus is fine. Pair it up with a flash/better beamer for a bit more light if need be but I am willing to be corrected on this.

Talk to higher bodies at 'Michaels' for good deals if you want Aus warranty.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back