• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common buzzard or mountain buzzard ?? Mozambique December 2014. (1 Viewer)

bassel

Hello to all

I recon I got this Buzzard from Mueda area which lies at 900 M ASL in northern Mozambique . I am very confused as I believe this bird might be a mountain Buzzard rather than common buzzard . Any suggestions please .

Thanks

Bassel

Attachments

• Picture 134.jpg
    Picture 134.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Picture 133.jpg
    Picture 133.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Picture 132.jpg
    Picture 132.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 57
Hello to all

I recon I got this Buzzard from Mueda area which lies at 900 M ASL in northern Mozambique . I am very confused as I believe this bird might be a mountain Buzzard rather than common buzzard . Any suggestions please .

Thanks

Bassel

According to Birdlife, there is no Mountain Buzzard in Mozambique.

According to Birdlife, there is no Mountain Buzzard in Mozambique.

Actually I am aware of that Alino but the area in which I got this buzzard is in far northern Mozambique and not very far from the highlands in Southern Tanzania where the Mountain buzzard occurs .

For example , I got a flock of Northern carmine bee-eaters in Northern Mozambique and this species wasn't listed on the Mozambique bird list . In addition to that , I believe the area in northern Mozambique is under birded and might reveal some interesting species that will occur in adjacent Tanzania .

actually it looks good for Mountain with plain white ground colour, nice blotching, no baring but how can we be sure with so much variation in Steppe Buzzard

actually it looks good for Mountain with plain white ground colour, nice blotching, no baring but how can we be sure with so much variation in Steppe Buzzard

I agree with this opinion; so I would say a very possible Mountain Buzzard but such a photo of a juvenile cannot be enough, imo, to make an addition to a national list.

Hi all,
Bassel is correct in thinking northern Mozambique is one of the last birding frontiers. Even relatively well known Maputo has it's surprises. Mountain\Forest Buzzard surely must occur at least peripherally in Mozambique?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back