• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

I am, I have. What's your problem?

Paul I haven't got a problem. I, like most people, was blissfully unaware that there was a news blackout on Red Kites. I had no idea there were possibilities of birds nesting in the area - but, now thanks to you, I do. If I see another one fly over my patch I won't report it.

RED KITES.

As I understand it, there has been a blackout eg Birding Today, relating to birds in possible breeding areas, but fly-over birds in other areas are reported.

Des.

Personally I don't see an issue with reporting the majority of Red Kite sightings. Most are random flyovers anyway and those sites where sightings are fairly regular is probably due to observer coverage (such as Upton) rather than birds lingering at a nest site.

Obviously, what birders post on Birdforum is up to them, but Worcester Birding will continue to feature most records received. If your sighting doesn't appear then please don't take offence, it will because it is at or near a known/suspected nesting site. There is a handful of similar species marked with an asterix here.

Brian

What is a Red Kite breeding area? Anywhere where they might be flying around during the breeding season? There are potentially huge areas of suitable habitat. If this approach is adopted then most migrants have the potential to stop and breed so why bother to report anything?

If they breed they breed they do'nt need wrapping up in cotton-wool, just do'nt tell the RSPB otherwise their PR bandwagon will kick in and that will be the last of it;)

Laurie:t:

If you say so Dave - i personally would be more concerned with ringers and photographers and in the unlikely event of finding or seeing a flyover scarce migrant on my local patch will continue to report accordingly.

If you say so Dave - i personally would be more concerned with ringers and photographers and in the unlikely event of finding or seeing a flyover scarce migrant on my local patch will continue to report accordingly.

Fair points - from Brian's comments I think the acid test will be if any reported to him appear on Birding Today (or, more precisely, the new free-access version of Birding Today) - if they do then they aren't in a known breeding area and any flyovers can continue to be reported. If he doesn't report your sighting on that website , then you'll know why.

As far as I'm concerned, when I hear of or see any reports of Red Kite flyovers, possible breeding is the absolute last thing I think about - these things roam miles and miles in a single day.

I think we need some birds , all getting a little feisty . Most of the togs I know are good people, I know one or 2 birders who are total a********8-P
can we just stick to some positive posts. People have got to move on and stop living in the past, we all make mistakes.

Last edited:
Popped in to the Moors this afternoon. Looking wonderful in the hot sunshine!

So did some Cinnabar Moths and a few Small Copper on the 'heath area'. There was a large family of Long tailed Tits by the track to the East hide and this chap appeared to be a bit hot as it kept its beak open for a while - or maybe it was just begging for food..

Attachments

• CinMoth.jpg
    CinMoth.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 56
  • CinMoth2.jpg
    CinMoth2.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 53
  • SCopp.jpg
    SCopp.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 56
  • LTT.jpg
    LTT.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 97
Had a lovely visit to the warren today, company was fantastic, few pics from the last few days

Attachments

• z_9383.jpg
    z_9383.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_chetti`s9090.jpg
    IMG_chetti`s9090.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_qq8967.jpg
    IMG_qq8967.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 90
  • common tern uw.jpg
    common tern uw.jpg