• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Snake Species in the UK? (1 Viewer)

Very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing. I thought it was going to be the BBC playing catch up with reporting on the London & Welsh colonies of aesculapian snakes centred on zoo sites where they’ve escaped from.

I’ll be going through my grass snake photos to see if I have any contenders. That said, it brings it all home just how arbitrary the whole species concept is. Time after time there are studies where new species are suggested due to apparent genetic divergence. Can’t help thinking there are geneticists & taxonomists perhaps eager to enhance their CV and ‘name a new species’. Eventually we get to a point where genitals have to be dissected or DNA tested to firmly establish an identification of some obscure cryptic species.

Or maybe I’m just a bit cynical!

Very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing. I thought it was going to be the BBC playing catch up with reporting on the London & Welsh colonies of aesculapian snakes centred on zoo sites where they’ve escaped from.

I’ll be going through my grass snake photos to see if I have any contenders. That said, it brings it all home just how arbitrary the whole species concept is. Time after time there are studies where new species are suggested due to apparent genetic divergence. Can’t help thinking there are geneticists & taxonomists perhaps eager to enhance their CV and ‘name a new species’. Eventually we get to a point where genitals have to be dissected or DNA tested to firmly establish an identification of some obscure cryptic species.

Perhaps a little unfair when we seem to have been handed a decent visible morphological difference to work on!

Off to check my pix too.....

John

How disappointing.....

I was just getting interested.

John

Attachments

• IMG_7020.JPG
    IMG_7020.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_7022.JPG
    IMG_7022.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 185

I was roundly criticised when I made a similar statement re birds so be careful!

'Apparent genetic divergence' is only pivotal to the biological species concept but not the phylogenetic species concept which takes a much more holistic view of what a species is.

A

This article is closer to the original source. It seems that the British animals are Natrix helvetica though, confusingly, the picture shows helvetica as lacking a yellow collar but I've never seen a grass snake without a yellow collar.

This article is closer to the original source. It seems that the British animals are Natrix helvetica though, confusingly, the picture shows helvetica as lacking a yellow collar but I've never seen a grass snake without a yellow collar.

Perhaps the snake shown isn't British and the intensity of the yellow collar varies regionally or it could be a snake with faded colours which is ready to shed?

It also looks to be quite a big snake as Grass Snakes go and as with many animals, the bigger they are, the less bright they are, look at King Cobra for example?

A

It does appear to be a balls up - well, there *is* a new species but they overlap in Germany not here so we still have the 3 species, but our grass snake is the barred grass snake now.

You'd have thought the BBC and others would have the decency to correct it rather than just let it slip and hope no-one notices. It is obvious that they know they screwed up as I'm sure it would have made a little feature on the TV news last night. From googling no news sources appears to be clarifying the situation.

It is obvious that they know they screwed up as I'm sure it would have made a little feature on the TV news last night.
I don't think they do know they've screwed up. The Springwatch twitter account put the story out again today, uncorrected.

If anyone knows of a population of Natrix natrix in the UK (there are rumoured to be some that derive from escapes), it would probably be best to keep quiet about them, as they're suddenly a non-native species.

The reporting of this research has been appalling - even BBC Springwatch was retweeting the "news". Complete and utter laziness of behalf of "journalists". I saw the BBC item tweeted, read it, and could see no reference to the research but it took about 5 minutes of googling to realise that the article (and others in MSM) was rubbish.

I'm confused about the identification features now, most of our (Barred) Grass Snakes have collars, the odd one doesn't: the ground colour is variable as hell from blackish through olives, greens, and brown tones. The bars also seem to me from my own photos to be variable. Is the snake in the article's photograph the odd one out?

John

Pic: Grass Snake cock-up

Attachments

• 20160416 (22)_Grass_Snake_mimicking.JPG
    20160416 (22)_Grass_Snake_mimicking.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 150
I don't think they do know they've screwed up. The Springwatch twitter account put the story out again today, uncorrected.

If anyone knows of a population of Natrix natrix in the UK (there are rumoured to be some that derive from escapes), it would probably be best to keep quiet about them, as they're suddenly a non-native species.

Yes maybe you're right. But surely people have written, tweeted etc to correct this? Many have on the twitter feed so the penny must have dropped surely?

But surely people have written, tweeted etc to correct this? Many have on the twitter feed so the penny must have dropped surely?

Trouble is, BBC are probably so used to people trolling their reports that they just automatically ignore any incoming corrections.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back