• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian (1 Viewer)

david kelly said:
Pencaitland's not too far away at all. I always think of Whitecraig as being in Midlothian, rather than East Lothian.

Well the funny thing is David, as you drive away from Dalkeith towards Whitecraig/Wallyford you pass a sign saying Welcome to East Lothian. Then you look at my post code and it comes under Midlothian but even stranger is that we are under East Lothian council and that is where our council tax goes. I have given up trying to work it out :h?:

thebirdcam
http://thebirdcam.co.uk

ian1962 said:
hi ian from west lothian here livingston in fact bit further away but still lothian

Hi Ian,
Not been long in these forums myself but very interesting. Yes Not too far away....20 mins if the traffic is good to me ;) See you are into your fishing too...I need to get back to Beecraigs, its been a while now. I fish closer to home most of the time...errr getting off the subject a bit now ;) Welcome anyway.

Hello

I'm based in Edinburgh. I spend most of my birding time at Musselburgh, Dudingston, Arthur's seat and Lochend Park.

Regards,
Graham.

Hi everyone in the Lothian/Midlothian area. I spent 2 years in Edinburgh 2000-2002. Musselburgh was great, as was Ruddon's Point for Surf Scoters. Spent almost every weekend from April onwards up at loch Garten, and that trout farm near Aviemore(for the Ospreys, not the fishing). Good birding to you all....wish I was back.

Charles Harper said:
... well actually, most all of the membership is...

And to think I there are only 170+ members on Lothian Bird News when there must be thousands of birders there if most of the membership is from this part of the world. Edinburgh must have the highest density of birders in the world!
;)

David

Charles Harper said:
... your part of the world is northwest Europe, isn't it, David?..
Hi Charles,
Its part of the Scottish psyche, not small-mindedness in that we have a strong sense of belonging to whatever little district we're from or have lived in for a while. So when David wrote "part of the World" those of us in Lothian knew exactly what he was refering to. The 'district' itself is not a set of lines arbitrarily drawn on a map by local government(though they do tend to mess about with some of the boundaries) but a concept over a millenium and a half old. Scotland's full of little regions each slightly different from its neighbours - its something of a microcosm of diversity perhaps not really noticeable to English or American visitors, but very obvious to us.

Charles, Lang may your lum reek! ;)

And I'm certainly a native of this "part of the world", I was born in Edinburgh and brought up mainly in Prestonpans. I attended Preston Lodge High School and played rugby (badly) at School and afterwards. I have now emigrated to Tranent.

I have birded at Musselburgh since I was a schoolboy. When I got to seminars etc and the facilitator asks "what's your claim to fame?" I invariably say that I am one of the only two people alive to have seen a Black-throated Thrush on mainland Scotland (25 December 1989 Prestongrange - on the way to Musselburgh from my old flat in the Pans).

I have edited the Lothian Bird Report and I am now the local recorder. My mother's family can trace it's Prestonpans roots back to the 18th Century, my father's arrived from Kildare and Mayo rather more recently, 100-150 years ago.

I certainly feel that I belong to this little green part of the world between the heather clad hills of the Lammermuirs and the cold greenish blue waters of the Firth of Forth.

David

Aye, and lets not forget about the best thing of all with respect to Lothian........ -its only a short trip across the water to Fife! ;)

Steve G said:
Aye, and lets not forget about the best thing of all with respect to Lothian........ -its only a short trip across the water to Fife! ;)
Hi Steve,
Thats fighting talk! ;) I wonder which would come out on top Lothian or the Kingdom, if we were to compare rarities, birdlists etc. I'm from Falkirk though so I can remain strictly neutral.

david kelly said:
I have birded at Musselburgh since I was a schoolboy. When I got to seminars etc and the facilitator asks "what's your claim to fame?" I invariably say that I am one of the only two people alive to have seen a Black-throated Thrush on mainland Scotland (25 December 1989 Prestongrange - on the way to Musselburgh from my old flat in the Pans).

David
Hi David,
We've met a few times over the years and you would probably recognise my face. The other person to see the thrush was Ian Gordon whom I knew from college. He was probably the first serious birder I'd ever met and he introduced me to twitching, which I have to say I gave up several years ago.
How does it feel you being a Pans man living amongst all those belters?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back