• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (1 Viewer)

Todays highlights were
Sooty Shear 1
Manxie 80+
Pom 2
Arctic Skua 4 + 3 unidentified Skua
Curlew sand 1
Ruff 4
Brent Geese 2
Green Sand 1, heard of a second elsewhere.

bird of the day got away from us in the form of a raptor circling with a Short-eared Owl, thought by one of the group to be a Honey-B but we moved to get a better view without success.

Shit happens!!

I had an hour down at Musselburgh scrapes dodging showers this pm. Highlight was 2 juv curlew sandpipers in amongst the dunlin on the back scrapes showing the differences between them nicely. Also 4 blackwits and a single whimbrel

Yesterday at North Berwick harbour produced 2 little gulls and 3 purple sandpipers (my first of the autumn)

A gorgeous sunny warm still late afternoon at Musselburgh. 4 curlew sandpipers, 4 ruffs and 2 little gulls on the scrapes. A juvenile peregrine came screaming in to add to the entertainment. 2 slavonian grebes on the sea and a wheatear on the sea wall

I went down to Torness/Thorntonloch this am. I got there to see a couple of guys with big lenses there not realising that 2 Icterine warblers and a wryneck were found there late yesterday. I met a couple of birders I knew and passed a pleasant couple of hours. The Torness bushes held some migrants. Best on offer was a male redstart and a couple of spotted flycatchers.I found a f/imm redstart in the trees on the road down to Thorntonloch. A friend had 2 pied flycatchers by the stream at Thorntonloch. We then located 2 more(or maybe the same birds)by Thontonloch house-they showed well, one perching on telephone wires at one point. Sad to say but a Lothian first for me

Yesterday afternoon at Musselburgh. There was no sign of the Spotted Redshank seen in the morning. There was apparently a movement of Buzzards on as I saw one very dark individual and others had seen three or four more. The Buzzard scared everything except the Herons and Swans. Highlights were four juvenile Black-tailed Godwits and a single Curlew Sandpiper.

The scraes are getting overgrown and it may be that they may have to extensively refurbished. It was mentioned that consideration has been given to merging them into one or two scrapes which would have deeper water and islands. I don't know if the Council would stretch to that.

David

Preview
I went down to Torness for 8am-just out of the car when a bird flew over with a persistent descending piping note before it seemed to descend into a stubble field. Birdspotter and 2 others were nearby and the consensus was that it could well be a dotterel. Back home my CD's don't have dotterel flight call so I am still non the wiser.

The wind was up and there was a little drizzle so best bet seemed to be to look at the car park bushes. 3 pied flycatchers and 3 redstarts were a good beginning. A tree pipit flew over. We spread out to look at the ploughed field. No dotterel but a juvenile yellow wagtail. At this point the keystone, sorry the Torness cops decided to intervene. One came out in to the field to question us and the other stood looking bored and hard at the field side with his submachine gun. Back at the car park I got asked yet again for my details. Hard to understand when an infinitely more shifty looking character was standing neck to me-no sympathy from Calum though and no Amazonian female cop either.

Anyway on down to the lower car park and 2 wrynecks were soon in view flitting from bush to bush. I had decent views of one flying up into some gorse where there were 2 more redstarts. A spotted flycatcher was also nearby. On over towards Thorntonloch and the bushes held another 2 redstarts. Thorntonloch was quiet with one more redstart though a dipperwas on the stream. The bushes right down by the dunes held a whinchat and lesser whitethroat.

I went on down to Skateraw where it was quite windy-I headed for the shelter of the dry burn. There were a couple of willow warblers around and as I watched them I caught sight of a bird flitting up from the ground into a tree about 15m away. It perched and looked at me as I looked at it-another wryneck. You probably won't believe me if I tell you that a shaft of sun(first and probably last of the day) peaked out and lit up the area for a brief 30 seconds. The bird flew out south and I didn't see it again.

So a good morning soon to be made into a very good day, watching the prodigal son, Derek Riordan returning to help Hibs to a noisy 2-1 victory B :)

Torness, the police and the prodigal

I went down to Torness for 8am-just out of the car when a bird flew over with a persistent descending piping note before it seemed to descend into a stubble field. Birdspotter and 2 others were nearby and the consensus was that it could well be a dotterel. Back home my CD's don't have dotterel flight call so I am still non the wiser.

The wind was up and there was a little drizzle so best bet seemed to be to look at the car park bushes. 3 pied flycatchers and 3 redstarts were a good beginning. A tree pipit flew over. We spread out to look at the ploughed field. No dotterel but a juvenile yellow wagtail. At this point the keystone, sorry the Torness cops decided to intervene. One came out in to the field to question us and the other stood looking bored and hard at the field side with his submachine gun. Back at the car park I got asked yet again for my details. Hard to understand when an infinitely more shifty looking character was standing neck to me-no sympathy from Calum though and no Amazonian female cop either.

Anyway on down to the lower car park and 2 wrynecks were soon in view flitting from bush to bush. I had decent views of one flying up into some gorse where there were 2 more redstarts. A spotted flycatcher was also nearby. On over towards Thorntonloch and the bushes held another 2 redstarts. Thorntonloch was quiet with one more redstart though a dipperwas on the stream. The bushes right down by the dunes held a whinchat and lesser whitethroat.

I went on down to Skateraw where it was quite windy-I headed for the shelter of the dry burn. There were a couple of willow warblers around and as I watched them I caught sight of a bird flitting up from the ground into a tree about 15m away. It perched and looked at me as I looked at it-another wryneck. You probably won't believe me if I tell you that a shaft of sun(first and probably last of the day) peaked out and lit up the area for a brief 30 seconds. The bird flew out south and I didn't see it again.

So a good morning soon to be made into a very good day, watching the prodigal son, Derek Riordan returning to help Hibs to a noisy 2-1 victory B :)

After yesterday's fun as outlined by Mark in above post it was back down the coast for second helpings today.

Torness was first on the cards where a good selection of common migs was had in the carpark bushes and environs inc Lesser Whitethroat,Whitethroat,Redstart(5), Whinchat(4) and Willow Warb(3), but no sign of yesterdays 3 Wryneck's that we had.
Other birders started to arrive so being antisocial yet again it was time to move on, my birding partner and I then split up with me searching the ditch directly behind the sea wall for it's entire length.
This paid off with a Wryneck at the very END, it flew over to the reedbed where I had cripling views of it.

I then walked along towards Skateraw where I was to meet up with my buddy, but Torness wasnt finished with me just yet as I came upon a small flock of 4 Redstart inc at least one stunning male.
I continued on to Skateraw Lime Kiln where Keith had a fine Barred Warbler waiting for me as well as Lesser Whitethroat, Redstart and Common Sand.

A walk up the Dry-burn was rather fruitless with a few interesting candidates glimpsed but soon lost in the jungle of vegetation.

Onwards towards Barns Ness with Garden warbler(3), Redstart(2),Whinchat(7),Pied Fly(1),Whitethroat and Tree Pipit. A flooded field yielded 7 Ruff and a juv Little Stint.

Not a bad weekend's birding 3-4 Wryneck,a Bardie and a Dotterel:t:

Last edited:
birds still nesting

On my house I have swallows and tree sparrows with young chicks in the nest, this is the third brood for both nests. Can the more knowledgeable of you advise me if this is unusual, three broods seems a lot and also isn't it awfy late in the season, thanks.

On my house I have swallows and tree sparrows with young chicks in the nest, this is the third brood for both nests. Can the more knowledgeable of you advise me if this is unusual, three broods seems a lot and also isn't it awfy late in the season, thanks.

Three broods for Swallows is unusual this far north but when i lived in Prestonpans, the swallows which nested in y vennel had three broods one year. The last brood was small and we found one nearly dead on our doorstep after fledging, it had a lot of parasites on it.

David

A couple of Buzzards flying slowly west over Musselburgh at 1350 didn't look quite right, actually they looked pretty good for Honeys, which I,ve been looking out for with the recent influx. Couldn't get any plumage details, just all dark,longish wings, long rounded tipped-tail, secondary bulge and sticky-out head. However like a true idiot, I tryed unsuccessfully to film them, and didn't clinch id. Don,t suppose anybody else saw em?
Also managed to dip my fourth Wryneck in a week yesterday at Barns Ness, and of course, saw none of the ickys either.:-C Good numbers of migrants around though.

Last edited:
Up early today as Aberdeen's great sand plover had the good sense to up sticks and choose to take the seaside air at Dunbar having been found late on Friday. I had to take my daughter to an away hockey game so had only an hour or so to look early on. Despite many of the great and good of Lothian birding being present and looking the bird was not found by the time I left. It tuned up around 9.

Hockey duties over I had a couple of hours to look before I had to hand the car over to my wife. I arrived by the burn mouth to see only one other birder-he was convinced he had seen the bird in the rocks. There were a couple of golden plovers, a common sandpiper and a juvenile yellow wagtail but no sign of my quarry. Temporay light relief as an Irish golfer asked me what we were doing and if the distant Fife coast was Norway!!

So back I trudged to the car having given up when I stopped to scan the beach. And there were 2 or 3 birders behind a rock looking at a small pale bird sitting up in full view just by the see. So I had 10 mins to look at this pale rather worn delicate looking bird, very different to anthing else I have seen before flooring it back home. Contender for my favourite Lothian bird of the year but the red footed falcon is still ahead

So off home and to work, the afternoon bringing further good news-Hibernians prodigal scoring a contender for goal of the season to give the mighty Hibees a rare away win B :)

A couple of Buzzards flying slowly west over Musselburgh at 1350 didn't look quite right, actually they looked pretty good for Honeys, which I,ve been looking out for with the recent influx. Couldn't get any plumage details, just all dark,longish wings, long rounded tipped-tail, secondary bulge and sticky-out head. However like a true idiot, I tryed unsuccessfully to film them, and didn't clinch id. Don,t suppose anybody else saw em?
Also managed to dip my fourth Wryneck in a week yesterday at Barns Ness, and of course, saw none of the ickys either.:-C Good numbers of migrants around though.

I was driving through Musselburgh today and saw a 'not quite right' buzzard over the racecourse. Couldn't stop and didn't have my binoculars either! Looked long-winged, but didn't see it soar so couldn't see wing angle.
:C

Laurence

I was driving through Musselburgh today and saw a 'not quite right' buzzard over the racecourse. Couldn't stop and didn't have my binoculars either! Looked long-winged, but didn't see it soar so couldn't see wing angle.
:C

Laurence

Yip , another(!)2 migrating Buzzard over at 1150 were probably Honeys but I won't be claiming them, couldn't do a description for such a short view - kept my eyes on the birds this time! Hobby over as well today 1442, only the fourh I,ve seen in Scotland and doubtless the one reported around the the scrapes. A really quick view and once more can't claim it!:smoke:

Last edited:
Musselburgh 21/09/2008 pm

1 Curlew Sandpiper
1 Ruff
1 Black-tailed Godwit
1 Whimbrel
3 Little Gulls

The Whimbrel had the faintest of crown stripes, you had to look really hard to see and in bad light could have been missed.

No sign of yesterday's Hobby.

David

any sign of the gsp,,,today,,?,,,i could not make it today,but heading down,,musselburgh,,barns ness,torness power station,,,where is the wryneck,,,

any sign of the gsp,,,today,,?,,,i could not make it today,but heading down,,musselburgh,,barns ness,torness power station,,,where is the wryneck,,,

I don't think the GSP has been seen today or yesterday. The wryneck has been kicking around Barns Ness for a few days now-when I saw it, it was around the entrance to the old caravan site but it can be elusive. Curlew sands have been present daily for a couple of weeks at M'burgh along with little gull-also c. sands at Belhaven Bay. Spotted redshank yesterday at Aberlady near the car park

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back