• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My daughter's optics (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
I thought I'd give a short review of my daughters new binoculars, as she really likes them a lot (see picture 1).

It's a 1x30 binocular, very compact, with straight tubes. The IPD is perfect for my 4 year old, the low power and the huge exit pupil make it extremly easy to use for kids. Despite it being quite inexpensive, the optics are superb: cristall clear view and tack sharp all the way to the edges, 3D pop and all. Trade off is a somewhat limited FOV, it certainly has a tunnel view, but she doesn't mind. At that price we can't expect the bin to be fully sealed, so some care is needed when out in rain. All in all, highly recommended!

As you can see in pic 2, my daughter also appreciates higher powered optics. Here looking at a wintering wallcreeper.

Cheers, Florian

Attachments

• 31730275ad.jpg
    31730275ad.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 31718709cu.jpg
    31718709cu.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 273
Dalat, post 1,
That is really an optical miracle: no color dispersion, no astigmatism or coma, sharp up to the very edge, no rolling ball, no distortions and immaculate focussing mechanism, I like it. I had once made a similar one in a high quality workshop for one of the Zeiss representativs, who teased me occasionally, so I could give him a birthday present made from two plastic bottles, glued together with bottom and screw cap removed, clean black painted and in a beautiful Zeiss bag accompanied by a letter from Ernst Abbe from heaven to show his appreciation for the work of the Zeiss rep. for his work on Zeiss binoculars.

Your daughter seems to me an optical genius looking at birds with the objective cap on the telescope. I will show it to our children as an example of miracle observers.
Gijs van Ginkel

Florian

But they have zero eye relief!

However they look to have perfect balance for young hands and if she dropped them I don't think they would suffer miscollimation.

I wish I had had a pair like this when I was a youngster :t:

Lee

Thanks for the comments guys! :)

Your daughter seems to me an optical genius looking at birds with the objective cap on the telescope.

Gijs, I can assure you there was no cover on the objective, and she was indeed observing a wallcreeper. She looks through the scope often and is used to it. What you see at the objective end is the famous cable tie sight, not an objective cover.

Attachments

• 31718710qz.jpg
    31718710qz.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 78
Florian, Like Gijs I missed that, after looking closer at the Swarovski spotter I see that it is the cable sight aiming device of Kimmo Kabsetz fame! Regards, Steve

BTW looks your daughter should be warm enough:t:

Hi Florian,

I like it! Very cute! I think it is great you are taking your daughter birding. She will take that with her forever!

BTW...AWESOME bird!

Last edited:
Florian,

Considering the raving responses, this model could become a hugh moneymaker.
I reccommend you patent it and sell the rights to one of the three A's.
Your daughters financial future would be secured!!

Jan

Thanks for the idea! But not sure if the "three A's" could do that. The decorative elements are hand crafted, difficult to do this in mass production. Better we'd make a business out of that ourselves. Problem will be limits in supply of raw material for the tubes. We're a family of 4 and can only do so much...

Bearing in mind the 'throughput' of a family of just 4, I recommend avoiding the mass market and producing only limited editions with a high price.

Pictures of tigers would convert this premium model into a Safari Edition, polar bears could decorate the Polar Edition and so on.

Its a shame that you are limited in objective size but perhaps there are 'industrial sizes' for families who produce more....

Lee

Seriously, it is lovely to see your daughter enjoying birding.

My 3-year-old's binoculars are identical in their optical quality! Someone gave us a very cheap plastic pair designed for kids, but of course the plastic optics were terrible. I took them apart, removed the "lenses", and put them back together. They work great for him now and he loves them. He's gotten very good at locating birds with his "noclurs".

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0461.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0461.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 85
My 3-year-old's binoculars are identical in their optical quality! Someone gave us a very cheap plastic pair designed for kids, but of course the plastic optics were terrible. I took them apart, removed the "lenses", and put them back together. They work great for him now and he loves them. He's gotten very good at locating birds with his "noclurs".

I'll have to contact Cory; I don't think our copyright on "noclars" has expired. On the other hand, little ones can get away with murder! :t:

Bill

He's gotten very good at locating birds with his "noclurs".

:t:

It's interesting to observe how kids deal with this. The picture above of my daughter illustrates that well. She is genuinely interested in observing birds or deer through (real) binoculars or the scope, but at the same time its still a lot of child's play in it, of doing like daddy with her own self made binocular... Tricky task for the dad to offer the right balance and keep things interesting to her 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back