• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help me identify this small brown bird? (1 Viewer)

GladysJo

I saw this small bird in the trees in Ixtapa, Mexico 2 weeks ago. I see it is overall brown, with a white eyebrow.

Attachments

• DSC01508a.JPG
    DSC01508a.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 205
Definitely a wren - note the banded tail.

I'd have to double-check what other wrens can be found there, but House Wren looks like a good fit for the picture.

The supercillium looks too strong for a House Wren to me. Looks fairly good for a Bewick's Wren to me, but I'm not sure if that's in range (there seem to be several 'Ixtapa's' in Mexico) or if there are other possible confusion species.

Any more pics, however bad? Hard to judge shape at this angle, and it would be good if that stick wasn't in the way of its face. Could you describe the habitat a bit more precisely? We should be able to get this one...

Ixtapa is just north of Acapulco, on the Pacific coast. .... Maybe White-bellied Wren? What do you think, it's found in the Ixtapa area on the West Coast of Mexico.

Thanks! White-bellied Wren is very short-tailed, which doesn't fit your bird. Checked through all the other wrens and Bewick's Wren is by far the best fit; this is mapped as only occuring inland at higher altitudes in this part of Mexico, but it could be winter dispersal to the coast.

Thanks! White-bellied Wren is very short-tailed, which doesn't fit your bird. Checked through all the other wrens and Bewick's Wren is by far the best fit; this is mapped as only occuring inland at higher altitudes in this part of Mexico, but it could be winter dispersal to the coast.

That's strange. The tail of the OP's bird struck me as very short.

I can not make this into a Bewick's from this pic... tail is way too short. So I would think White-bellied, but I can not eliminate a House solely from this pic. Any other pics would certainly help.

Depends on how strongly cocked up the tail is - if only a little, then it's long and very foreshortened, if strongly, then it's not foreshortened and shorter. But the pic of White-bellied in HBW gives it an even shorter tail than this bird is showing assuming the tail is held vertical with no foreshortening.

I'm in the Bewick's camp. That tail looks too long for a white-tailed, and the white super and clean white breast is not right for House Wren, especially in Mexico.

I can not make this into a Bewick's from this pic... tail is way too short. So I would think White-bellied, but I can not eliminate a House solely from this pic. Any other pics would certainly help.

WHOA... yesterday I was actually not looking at this pic correctly. That being said, I still think it is a White-bellied Wren... but DEFINITELY not a House Wren.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back