• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyecup preferences for non spec wearers? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Just been wondering if anyone else has developed the habit of using their bins with the eyecups rolled down despite not having to wear glasses? Looking back to my first quality pair of bins I remember how the image just seemed to magically appear in front of my face with the eyecups rolled down without having to look down into the eyecups! One other advantage is also not having my peripheral vision blocked.

Also, despite experimenting i've never concluded if either using eyecups or not has any effect on contrast/brightness/image quality etc..maybe others have a more scientific approach?

Matt

Winged eyecups/binobandit a to cut out stray light and distractions so I can concentrate on the view. Peripheral vision... get a wider angle pair of bins and enjoy the views.

Peter

Hi,

frankly, without having the eyecups in my face, it's hard to hold bins steady enough for me. Also stray light is not great that way.

I only do this when I get a pair with rolled down rubber eyecups from s.b. to try and don't want to risk tearing the eyecups. In that case I tend to grip them very far back so my index finger can double up as the needed support - doesn't work well for long and heavy pairs...

Joachim

I opened a thread a while ago where I stated that I simply could not make use of the entire FOV of wide field binoculars, it's here. On basically every single wide field binocular I simply can't see the field stop (on a "natural" viewing position; mind you I don't use glasses). So, sometimes, when I'm scanning a landscape while on a stationary position (not while walking on a forest or trekking, for example), I roll down the eyecups down for the sheer pleasure of enjoying the expansive view. I sometimes do this as well while using the binoculars for astronomy, in order to enjoy the full FOV potential of the bins. However, as Joachim has pointed out, for me it is also difficult to hold the bins steady (say if you're following a bird in flight).

With wide field binoculars it is true that, when the eyecups are rolled down, the FOV is so wide that it is like if you opened a door or a window to other dimension; the binoculars disappear and there's just this magnified and sharpened reality in front of you.

Then there's one particular case; the Zeiss 7x42 FL. It is probably my favourite binocular; a truly impressive device, but it is not without flaws. One of the most obvious is that, depending on light conditions, it shows a rim of "white glare" just before the edge (not at the very edge). I have discovered that if I roll down the eyecups to the one-but-last position (there are 4) this phenomenon is less annoying.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-03-24 a las 9.49.44.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2020-03-24 a las 9.49.44.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 75
Hi,

yes, I have some bins which are used with the eyecups not fully turned up - which is not surprising since facial physiognomy is quite different for each user...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back