• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spiderhunter species limits (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Clements 2000 includes the Spiderhunter subspecies concolor of Sumatra within Arachnothera affinis (Streaky-breasted Spiderhunter) rather than within A. modesta (Grey-breasted). The field guide I have for the Greater Sundas includes it within Grey-breasted. Any views on either treatment ?

Also has there been any recent work clarifying the position of the peninsular Malaysian form of "Large" Cuckoo-Shrike (ie. is it closer to Javan or Large) ?

Last edited:
Larry,

Haven't got any literature to hand, both I treat the Cuckoo-shrike on Malaysia as the same throughout the Sundaic region, Malaysian Cuckoo-shrike (better name than Javan). Large is seperate, which occurs throughout Indochina.

Spiderhunters - I doubt if anyone really knows, a very complex situation. If you check out Sunbirds monograph, then affinis is treated as endemic to Bornean highlands & Java. Another states Sumatra & Borneo, whereas most treat it as endemic to Sabah (some including lowlands!). Personally..... I need to research them more.

Hi Larry, James,

Still at work and I would need books especially for the Spiderhunter. However, and forgive me if I screw up because just working from memory, there are still a few loose ends to tie up from the ex-superspecies novaehollandiae and one of them is the position of larutensis (S Malaysia as I recall). Personally, and with a personal note waiting until someone does give a final answer on larutensis, I place larutensis (and siamensis) with macei (Large Cuckooshrike) and allow, for the present at least, that javensis ranges only on Java and Bali (Javan Cuckooshrike). As I said, everything turns on when someone finally figures out if larutensis is better collocated with javensis or remains with macei.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back