• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

Perfect place to post John. Bridge of Allen is very close to the Argaty Red Kite feeding station.

I didn't know we had Bean Geese so far north, that's great to know.

The geese were seen from a moving train and often quite distant - I know there were greylag geese about, but pretty sure they were bean geese. Had a look at their feet and they didn't appear to be very pink, so possibly ruling out pink-footed geese - but as I say they were often quite distant. Are pink-footed geese often found in that area?

Edit: the more I read, the more I'm convinced they were pink-footed geese! Sorry for the wild goose chase (ahem!)

Last edited:
Yes. I always think Pink-footed are the default winter grey geese here (though Greylag are in good numbers all year).

LOL no problem John. South of Perth is not far as a goose flies from their usual haunt around Falkirk is it.

Hi folks. I am driving up to Kingussie in mid March and was thinking of stopping off at Loch Leven on the way. According to the RSPB website white tailed eagle are seen in winter there...how accurate is that? Would I stand a chance on 19th March? If not - what would be the species the reserve would hold then.
Thanks in advance

Hi Keith.I do'nt know If there shall still be a bird or two there In March but White tailed Eagle are being seen quite regularly at Insch Marshes RSPB Reserve just now,which Is very close to Kingussie.

Out at Skinflats Lagoon and foreshore today. A Common Buzzard and hundreds of geese as per usual in the surrounding fields, most likely pink footed but I couldn't get close enough to definitively identify them. Shelducks and redshanks feeding on the mudflats, four Red Breasted Mergansers in the lagoon and then I saw a goldcrest as I headed up through a little patch of forest. First time I've ever seen a goldcrest. Also about 30 tree sparrows zooming from bush to bush. Not a bad day out.

A lovely selection you had there MrZoo. Congratulations on your Goldcrest too..... lovely little things, aren't they.

Yes, incredibly tiny. I saw some movement in some bushes and supposed it to be a wren. It was only when I got it in my binoculars that I realised what it was. Very skittish though, constantly flitting around every few seconds.

Spent the morning sea-watching at Usan near Montrose today. Loads of birds moving through, best were Little Auks, a Black-throated Diver, Great Northern Divers, a juvenille Pomarine Skua and over sixty Red-throated Divers mainly all going south.
Also had Purple Sandpipers, Gannets, Fulmar, Kittiewake, Common & Velvet Scoters and loads of Guillemot.
Great way to spend a morning.

Excellent views of a Jay this morning at Callendar Park Wood, Falkirk. Also had a fleeting view of what very much looked like a Nuthatch. I was quite surprised at that.

Yesterday decided to go to Loch of Kinnordy but not many birds there at all, loch mostly frozen over with most of the birds sticking over at the east side. Big conifer tree down blocking the path to the Swamp Hide after the stormy weather on Saturday night. We ended up going to Balgavies Loch instead to see if we could see a Water Rail which feeds regularly under the feeding station but it knew we were coming and stayed hidden |:mad:| There was however a lot of other birds about, here's my list: Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Goldeneye, Pheasant, Moorhen, Coot, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Long-tailed Tit and Chaffinch.

I was at clatto first thing this morning checking the gulls,as soon as I opened my car door mixed flock of 12 blackbirds/7 dunnocks/5 robins and a few chaffinches and coal tits were squabbling about my feet waiting to be fed,the only gulls seen were herring and black headed,a pair of goosander were swimming in the middle of the water,there hasn't been many sightings of goosander in the Dundee area this winter,several goldeneyes were present along with the mutes/mallards ,I parked at invergowrie and walked to the hide at the riverside nature park ,a grey wagtail (first of the year for me)was moving back and forth at the tunnel,some pinkfoots were out on the mud and others were flying over,a couple of dunlin were with the redshanks and teals/herring gulls/bh gulls/jackdaws were to the left of the hide,there were some chirping sparrows somewhere nearby,driving past the lochan I noticed a new screen has been built at the hole in the hedge,this is a great addition ,often when an unleashed dog walks by it investigates the hole in the hedge resulting in all the water birds taking off,i then headed down to the city quey to check if the long tailed duck was still around,the duck is still there but is keeping its distance,other birds seen were red throated diver/7 red breasted mergansers/1 little grebe the cormorant was perched on its favourite lamppost,i headed from here to the stobbie pond,late on Friday while passing I saw a male goosander here and was hoping it was still there,
it looks like it was a short visit,all the usual water birds were present and it was nice to see 2 wintering common gulls,it was then up to monikie looking for bramblings,3 birds have been reported,i had 2 sightings (probably the same bird) first one was at the second pier on the island pond,a flock of chaffinches and a couple of wrens plus the brambling were feeding in the rocks below some bushes at the waterside,i was waiting hoping for a clear view when I was treated to a very close flypast of a kingfisher complete with a fish in its beak ,very nice :t:the second sighting was to the right of the activity centre ground feeding,there was a very noisy flock of approx. 45 goldfinches in the trees beside the denfind pond,a raven was heard calling from the trees at the north pond,at keptie pond in Arbroath a male wigeon has been present for a couple of weeks,this is a good opportunity to see what is usually a distant duck,4 herons were on the island and a ringed black headed gull was sitting on one of the posts,it had rings on both legs and I could only get views of the right leg,the number looks like j7cc/L7cc
,I came across a flock of 20 yellowhammers in a field along the clifftop path and seen a similar sized flock of linnets at the start of the path,i was shocked to read how much the yellowhammer is in decline ,looks like we are lucky to still have them up here

Attachments

• ltd.JPG
    ltd.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 69
  • bhgull.jpg
    bhgull.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 56
  • common gull.JPG
    common gull.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 59
  • coot.JPG
    coot.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 59
  • goldeneye.JPG
    goldeneye.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 57
I had a drive up what I call the Gormack Road, just west of Blairgowrie. Not been up there for years.

It was nice to see a big flock of Lapwings up there. Various tits and finches seen/heard, including a few Bullfinches. Got my first ever picture of a Treecreeper.... but too poor to use LOL. Light was awful by then. On the way back down I came across a pair of Magpies. And heard some very vocal Buzzards too.

An application has been lodged with the Scottish Government to build 18 wind turbines, 125m (410ft) in height along the eastern side of Backwater reservoir and up into the rising land between Glen Taitney and Glen Damff, less than a thousand metres from the Cairngorm National Park. This is described as Macritch Hill Wind Farm. The area is used by Golden Eagle, Sea Eagle, Osprey, Goshawk, Peregrine, Black Grouse and Crossbills amongst many other species. The developers environmental assesment estimates that in the 25 year life of the turbines 3 Golden Eagles, 2 Peregrines, 2 Ospreys and up to 1 Sea Eagle will be killed. This apparently is deemed acceptable. More information:

https://planning.angus.gov.uk/online-ap ... GN0CF07200
http://www.glenislaagainstturbines.com/
http://www.acwag.org.uk/

Representations must be made to the Scottish Government with a copy to Angus Council by 20th February.

This is copied from a post in the Angus & Dundee Bird Club forum by County Bird Recorder Jon Cook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back