• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pulborough Brooks (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Kentish Mother
Had a nice morning at the RSPB Reserve at Pulborough Brooks in West Sussex.

Weather was a little cloudy, but it picked up at lunch time.

Spent most of my time digiscoping just down the hill from the reserve entrance. There were several Whitethroat posing on the bushes, and quite a few Nightingales around. Somewhat unusually the Nightingales were showing well, particularly in a row of dead trees, so I was able to get some pics. The same trees also showed off Blackcap and Chiffchaff nicely. Wish I'd waited until the sun came out! (Although maybe the Nightingales would have been more skulking with the sun out?)

There are plenty of benches around where you can set up your scope, and then just sit back and listen to the birdsong - it's nice to be somewhere there are lots of birds early in the season to get your ear back in...

Also around were Willow Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Cuckoo and Swallow.

Went down to the Nettley Hide overlooking the water, but didn't stay long as hunger was nagging me. Saw Redshank, Grey Heron, Shelduck, Teal and a few others, probably missed a few.

For insects, saw Orange Tip, Speckled Wood and Brimstone butterflies, and some unidentified whites, and what I think is a female Azure Damselfly (photo attached).

Attachments

• Blackcap.jpg
    Blackcap.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Nightingale.jpg
    Nightingale.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 827
  • Nightingale 2.jpg
    Nightingale 2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 836
  • Whitethroat.jpg
    Whitethroat.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Azure Damselfly.jpg
    Azure Damselfly.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Thanks Ken.

My book says mid-May to mid-June for emergence of Azure Damselfly, so it would be early.

Did see two Demoiselles (not sure which one - was cycling without the aid of insect guides...) along the River Wandle in London in the third week in April, and they shouldn't start until mid-May.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
looks like Azure to me. A little early - but then whats normal these days with 'climate change' affecting everything [alledgedly].
Cheers,

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back