• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Homemade Hummingbird Feeders (1 Viewer)

andrewjlee3339

Hello! I am new here and this is my first thread so if I break any rules please tell me. Anyway, do any of you guys have ideas for a homemade hummingbird feeder. I am building one for a Rufous Hummingbird. Thank you!

Make sure it's easy to keep clean. Rufous can be here any day. At least some scouts. My earliest is Feb 8th........

I make them all the time, see if you can find my user-profile or whatever on this site, and check last summer's postings. There are pictures somewhere.
Drip feeders are super-easy, but they drip. the best ones are made from Soy Sauce bottles, LeeKumKee is the best but Kikkoman will do. Melt one dribble hole shut with a lighter.
Save pill bottles and Hot sauce bottles. Get a 1+3/32 drill bit and some nice string, then put some water in the hot sauce bottle. cover the neck of the hot sauce bottle with the pill bottle. turn it over, then figure out what to do with the drill bit.
Go to the Ball Canning jar website, look for spice storage jars. They are small. Figure out a way to put a red plastic lid on one of these bad-boys.
Plastic candy-canes are perfect for hummingbird feeders.

Hey, it worked! :)} ... The picture is lousy, but you can see an assortment of home-made feeders. Materials include Soy Sauce bottles, M&M tubes, a Copenhagen Snuff cup, and the top of a Christmas candy cane. When April rolls around I am going to write up the pill-bottle / Hot Sauce one, it is super economical in all respects, and the Hummers love it. I haven't tried out the Christmas Cane yet, it would be great if a manufacturer would latch on to the design and make some quality miniature feeders. Provided Hummers like it, of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back