• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper HD 8x42mm vs. Bushnell Legend M Series 8x42mm (2 Viewers)

I've used the Z-R's as well, and also found them to be a very competent bino for their price. I think that a demo ED3 for under $350 is perhaps the best buy in the US for under $559......

I understand what you and Phil are saying about the focuser. The lubricant feels like stirring molasses, and the harder you try to turn it the more it seems to resist.

For the past week, or so, I have mainly been using the Vortex Razor HD, but earlier tonight had decided to give the Bushnell's one last try before I pack them up for return tomorrow. After having become accustomed to the general ease and smoothness of the Razor's focus wheel my experience tonight while trying to turn the Legend M's wheel was akin to trying to turn a focus wheel which feels like it's been lubricated with Elmer's glue. I thought the focuser on the Legend M was bad before.... but now that I've gotten used to the focuser on the Razor it makes the focuser on the Legend M THAT much worse. Seriously, Bushnell, there is just no excuse.

Here goes...

I am no bino expert but,... I now have 4 pairs of binos! ....B&H has Bushnell Legend 10x42 M series on sale at $259.00, with a $50.00 rebate. Couldn't resist. Received them 8/10and have been using them in the field ever since alongside my Zen-Ray ED3 10x43s(and Theron Wapiti 10x42s!), 6 excursions. Twins, but maybe not identical twins. Yes, very bright, and clear in the sweet spot, surprisingly so. Just as are my Zens... I think the Zens have a somewhat larger sweet spot, and better edges. Still, the sweet spot on the M series is probably 75-80% of the view, and the edges are not bad at all. I will keep them. As far as I can tell, only the Alphas produce better image quality than these 2, but not by much. BTW, the M series diopter ring appears to be metal, and is very stiff. Tough to lift, and to seat. The focus wheel is very smooth, with a very small amount of play. I might add, except for the edges, where they excellent, the Therons don't quite equal the performance of the others. Still, a very good pair of bins and a steal for the price.

Last edited:
How about eye strain and headaches? Chinese glass is OK for casual use but wouldn't want to look through them all day. That is the deal breaker with the Chinese glass and mid tier Japanese glass. You can glass all day with the European offerings without problem.

Attachments

• keenan-thompson-cross-eyed.jpg
    keenan-thompson-cross-eyed.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
How about eye strain and headaches? Chinese glass is OK for casual use but wouldn't want to look through them all day. That is the deal breaker with the Chinese glass and mid tier Japanese glass. You can glass all day with the European offerings without problem.

You're shittin right?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back