• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What A Hobby! (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Another sunny day in the Stour valley (Kent) tempted me out for the fourth time in two days .... ain't it nice when you can bird a top spot fifteen minutes or so from home in the morning , nip back for lunch and then pop back in the evening.

Friday there were 9 Hobby in sight, Saturday 14 and today 47. Yup that's right 47..... and I suspect that was an undercount! This isn't too far short of the maximum count for the valley (50 something) which usually is later in the month. I'd have been happier though if I'd seen the male Monites that flew past as I was staring high into the sky busily doing my umpteenth count. Also Garganey knocking about, a Mandarin (which I also missed 3/4th valley record) plus all the usual suspects!
John

John: I think I spoke to you outside the Marsh Hide this morning. I made a reference to your conversation about black kites!

A really good day for hobbies - several were obliging enough to sit on fence posts giving excellent views.

Were you at Stoddie then Robin? If the little blighters were sitting on fence posts at Stoddie I might have missed a few! Anyhow, the fat lady hadn't stopped singing as I nipped out there again this PM and had a nice little Temminck's Stint,
John

John Cantelo said:
Were you at Stoddie then Robin? If the little blighters were sitting on fence posts at Stoddie I might have missed a few! Anyhow, the fat lady hadn't stopped singing as I nipped out there again this PM and had a nice little Temminck's Stint,
John
I was at Stoddie with my wife. One hobby in particular spent most of the time on a post occasionally flying off to catch insects and then back to its post.

Heard about the temminck's too late - damn.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back