• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A decent lunchbreak (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
I went down to my usual beachfront at mid.day today, more in the hope of a decent wader or two than anything else.
Part of the journey involves driving across a golfcourse. This golfcourse is a good place to see Chough and other corvids when the tide is particularly high, so I wasn't surprised to see a dark Hooded x Carrion Crow Hybrid on there, as I wizzed past.
Apart from the usual 50+ White Wagtails there wasn't much of note on the shore but the few scattered bushes were alive with Whitethroats and phylloscs. but despite grilling them, couldn't locate anything out of the ordinary. I had 20-odd minutes left of my lunchbreak so decided to drive back across the golfcourse to view the beach at the other side of the peninsula. The "hoodie hybrid" had been joined on the fairway by a couple of Wheatear but again, nowt special.
I pulled the Land Rover up so I could view the shoreline (flushing a Whimbrel in the process) and set about scanning the tide-wrack. Again there were plenty of White Wags, Linnets, Mipits and Swallows hawking up and down. Then I heard a call that was unfamiliar to me (in recent years at least) "Sweeeep", it went. "Hmm, interesting" I went. I got out of the car and immediately flushed a Yellow Wagtail - a scarce spring pasage bird here on the island. During the next 10 minutes I saw at least 3 Yellow Wags (all females). I contacted peteh who arrived within 10 minutes to get himself a 'lifer'. We watched one bird for about ten minutes until another local birder arrived and seemed somewhat excited. Surely not for a Yellow Wag'? They aren't that rare! "Have you boys seen the ****** **** on the Golf Course?" she asked. 5 minutes later peteh and I were viewing the bird in the attached photo at ranges of just a few metres. That'll teach me to dismiss corvids on the Golf Course!

Attachments

• Hybrid.jpg
    Hybrid.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Sounds a very civilized lunch break, Chris. Yellow Wagtails are always great to see (and I've yet to see one up here).

Are Arctic Skuas rare passage birds in IOM or do they generally give the Irish Sea a miss? And where's Malvolio when you need him?
The main body of Arctic Skuas seems not to have arrived here yet and I've only seen a handful so far this year, all at sea, none on their breeding grounds.

E

Hi Edward, we don't get many Arctic Skuas at all, in Spring. PLenty in late Summer and Autumn ofcourse.
It was a bizarre sight to see. It was literally no more than 30yds from a beach and yet chose to rest up in the middle of a golf course.

Seems a whole different world for you folks on little and big islands. We would have to drive 2 days to the ocean.

CJW said:
Hi Edward, we don't get many Arctic Skuas at all, in Spring. PLenty in late Summer and Autumn ofcourse.
It was a bizarre sight to see. It was literally no more than 30yds from a beach and yet chose to rest up in the middle of a golf course.

All Skuas are scarce in spring in the Irish sea!

Bluetail said:
Nice one, Chris. If I could see one of those during my lunch break it would make it worthwhile going to work!
Don't get carried away Jason, it was only an Arctic Skua ;)

Jane Turner said:
Jane, have I read somewhere there is quite a substantial passage across England from the Solway through the Eden then Tyne valleys to the East coast?
Cheers Tony

Jane Turner said:

Except today it seems - judging by all the reports of Poms off the Welsh coast (and quite a few Arctics and Bonxies). I should perhaps start boasting that they're really rare in the North Sea in spring, in the hope that it has the same effect!

Hi Tony,

tony.hetheringt said:
Jane, have I read somewhere there is quite a substantial passage across England from the Solway through the Eden then Tyne valleys to the East coast?
Cheers Tony
Not quite - they are thought to head NNE from the Solway, crossing the Scottish Southern Uplands and coming out probably over the Firth of Forth. They certainly don't cross Northumberland at all.

Michael

But then we hardly see them in Fife in spring either Michael! If they go through it must always be very high up. They certainly go up the Forth in the autumn though and then possibly down to the Solway.

Amazing! I start a thread which should have left me open to all sorts of ridicule and we end up discussing the possible migration routes of a different species entirely!

Fifebirder said:
But then we hardly see them in Fife in spring either Michael! If they go through it must always be very high up. They certainly go up the Forth in the autumn though and then possibly down to the Solway.
Hi Andrew,

Interesting - I'm told that skuas are fairly frequent off Aberdeen in spring. So maybe they cut across from the Solway straight north to the Tay?

Maybe if someone could radio-tag some . . .

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back