• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Osprey Update Update (1 Viewer)

dicklynch

Hello All you Osprey Folks,

Checked out the Osprey nests yesterday and in two of the nests that had been chickless in the past there are now two in one and three in the other. Was fortunate to see an adult feeding the triplets. Fun to watch. One wasn’t getting what it deserved I guess and crawled between Moms(?) legs to get her attention. Worked too.

A possible downer, in “my” nest at the ball field, I only saw one chick. There was an Osprey running off an adult Bald Eagle, fairly high above this nest. May not be the case but I wondered if a chick may have been lost to these guys? The “fight” was something to watch, the Osprey would dive on the Bald Eagle who would turn over just as the Osprey got to it and put it’s talons in the Ospreys face. Only time I have seen anything like this was in a wildlife film.

Many Great Blue Heron on the river and what I think were Great Herons … all white w/an orange bill and black legs.

Shirley and I were on the river last Thursday, it was raining so no Osprey chicks to see, but I counted 28 GBH. Sunday there had to be more than that, but I didn’t count.

We again saw the immature Bald Eagle on Thursday and he/she was trying to steal fish the heron were catching. Happy to report that the heron did not give up their catch.

Dick

Will attempt to add three thumbnails of the nests that have three chicks. May have to look hard, but they are there.

Think I have done all the things I am suppose to, but if not ... sorry!

Dick

Attachments

• DSCN2694.JPG
    DSCN2694.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCN2652.JPG
    DSCN2652.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN2657.JPG
    DSCN2657.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Great news about the chicks, hope the weather is kind to them.

Glad you enjoyed your trip on the river, must be great to see Bald Eagles and Great Blue Herons.

Ann Chaplin

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back