• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to adjust exposure compensation in a Canon 70D during live view using buttons? (1 Viewer)

Hor Kee

Penang birder
Dear all,

I shoot using live view in Av mode quite often with the 70D. The only thing that irks me is the need to use the touchscreen for adjusting exposure compensation. All other dials and buttons don't seem to work. Can anyone tell me how can exposure compensation be adjusted by way of a dial or button please? Thanks!

Hi Hor Kee as per my answer on my 70D thread it is done using the rear dial - if it isn't happening either the lock switch is set to lock or you are using a mode where it doesn't apply. Certainly with AV it works like this on my copy - I hope you haven't got a faulty camera!

Paul

Hi Hor Kee, I set it to AV

Double-check that you have the lock switched turned off, it's the only other reason that I can think of why it wouldn't be working for you.

Last edited:
OK, try touching the shutter release button to engage the AF and then try - I just switched my camera on and tried to change exp comp and nothing happened, but once I had tapped the shutter button it worked.

fingers crossed

OK, try touching the shutter release button to engage the AF and then try - I just switched my camera on and tried to change exp comp and nothing happened, but once I had tapped the shutter button it worked.

fingers crossed
That is the standard way to dial-in Ev comp on every Canon DSLR I have ever owned, be it live view or normal AF. I always use back button focusing so I can dial-in Ev comp by first engaging the AF via the shutter button or by pressing the back button.Stating the obvious but once you have dialed-in the EV comp you can just leave it at that if you want without having to set it every time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back