• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron MM3 50 mm and Iphone 6S (1 Viewer)

Little egret. Still holding the phone by hand. Plenty of sun in Barcelona, as you can see ;) MM3 60 (I'd say around x35) + Nexus 5.

And I got the chance to watch a couple of Little ringed plovers mating!... I got so excited that I forgot to zoom in :-C , so I guess that one is unfortunately only x15 (so I lost a lot of definition while cropping).

Attachments

• Garceta2.jpg
    Garceta2.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Chorlitejo_chico2.jpg
    Chorlitejo_chico2.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I use a Vanguard VEO 235AP (1,5 kg) and think is more than enough for the scope. The tripod packs down to a relatively small size (folding central column).

Some days ago, the forum member mathare mentioned he has an Opticron 60 mm scope (not the MM3, but the bigger one) and is happy with the Sirui T-005X (1 kg and only 30 cm when folded) in terms os stability, which sounds really interesting.

Two juveniles of the Eurasian Eagle Owl.
Opticron MM3 60 (at x45) and Nexus 5 (hand holding the smartphone against the eyepiece).
I was hesitating whether to get the MM3 50 or 60, but I think I'm glad I got the 60, since I find myself using it in the x40-x45 range very often, while the MM3 50 only provided x36.
I think the image quality holds pretty well from x15 to x40 or so, and only in the last bit the quality drops more noticeably. I wouldn't say it gets darker, but you do get some sort of "veil" (for lack of a better term), like if someone put a nylon mesh (like a stocking) on the objective lens.

Attachments

• BuhoReal600.jpg
    BuhoReal600.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 161
Happier and happier with the scope. It might sound daft, but I've discovered that at lower magnification I get better results (after all, there's always the cropping bit, so you do lose some of the magnification, so to speak).
A Eurasian spoonbill and a Glossy Ibis from a visit to Doñana National Park (one of Spain's most important nature reserves). I guess I'm getting the point of a fixed eyepiece at lower magnification (however, I think I do stick to the x30s most of the times I use the scope, so the fixed EPs Opticron provides for the MM3 could be a tad too short).
MM3 60 mm + (handheld) Nexus 5

Attachments

• Espatula.jpg
    Espatula.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Morito2.jpg
    Morito2.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 118
Sorry I haven't been on this thread in awhile.

Yarrellii,

Those are some impressive pics especially considering that you were handholding the phone.

To answer your question from above, I used a variety of different tripods with the MM3 scopes. My most commonly used one is a Brunton Carbon Fiber model that I got on sale last year for a scary good price. It is a bit of an overkill for even the 60 mm model but it is lightweight and I am happy with it.

Having said that you would be hard pressed to find a better option than the carbon fiber model that Opticron sells with the Manfrotto 700 RC2 head. The typical street price is right at $300 for the combo.

http://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/xfs_tripods.html

http://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/panheads.html

I haven't posted pictures in a few months but I continue to take them regularly. Here is one of a Song Sparrow phonescoped at the American Birding Expo a couple of weeks ago with the MM3 60 mm.

Attachments

• Song Sparrow.jpg
    Song Sparrow.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 107
...and a closeup of a cooperative Great Egret...same MM3 60/Iphone 6S combo

Attachments

• Great Egret.jpg
    Great Egret.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 110
Black-bellied Whistling Duck phonescoped with IPhone 6S, Opticron MM3 60 mm and Phoneskope adapter yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

• bbwd.jpg
    bbwd.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 102
Thank you Steve. I have tons of fun taking them. It adds an entirely different level to my optics/birding experience.

Attachments

• Gull2.jpg
    Gull2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 71
Weekly photo addition. Song sparrow phonescoped with the Opticron MM3 60 mm scope, Iphone 6S, Opticron Universal adapter and Phoneskope Bluetooth shutter release.

I had the 23x wide angle eyepiece on the scope used some digital zoom on the Iphone so the image isn't quite as sharp as I would like it to be.

Attachments

• songsparrow2.jpg
    songsparrow2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 122
Weekly addition.

Song sparrow again. Same location but different part of the lake. Same scope/adapter and phone.

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 87
Haven't been here for a while, I moved house and now I live in the countryside, so the MM3-60 has plenty of window time, instead of backpack time :) A couple of sparrows and a robin.
I've set a dish full of seeds and they seem to like it, on the other side of the house I've installed a proper bird feeder (The one TM) but to no avail; after a couple of weeks no bird seems to pay special attention to it :D
The dish with the seeds sits around 4 m (12 ft) away from the lens, hidden behind a window (which I try to keep clean, but which I know steals some clarity), so x15 (minimum zoom) gives an astonishing aproach to feather and beak texture; it's a pity that the pictures are render such a poor image of what the scope is capable of.
Still handhelding the phone. I'm thinking of retiring the old Nexus 5, so maybe I'll get a phone adaptor for the next one.

Attachments

• IMG_20161112_133029_2-01.jpg
    IMG_20161112_133029_2-01.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20161112_133016_2-01.jpeg
    IMG_20161112_133016_2-01.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20161112_132945-01.jpg
    IMG_20161112_132945-01.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Great shots Yarellii. Very bright and colorful. Nicely done.

Here is a different twist for phonescoping....

...a little supermoon action with the Opticron 60/Iphone6S combo last night.

Attachments

• supermoon.jpg
    supermoon.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 168
One more but with the HDF zoom at 45x instead of the wide angle fixed magnification eyepiece...from last night.

Attachments

• sm2.jpg
    sm2.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back