• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request of information about the western treatment plant in Melbourne (1 Viewer)

Brian Perroud

Hi we are three italian birdwatchers and we will be visiting Australia in August. We would like to visit the western treatment plant in Melbourne on the 31/08 or alternativly on the 1/09, but i read you need a special permit and a key. Is there any birder from Melbourne (or anyone who knows one) who could help us?
Thank you very much
Brian Perroud

Hi Brian

Short term visitors can loan a key (information below), however it is a very large site so it can be tricky as a first timer / one time visitor to know how to bird the site best.
If time is short it's beneficial to have a local key-holding guide.

https://www.melbournewater.com.au/community-and-education/recreation/birdwatching/apply-birdwatching-permit

Short-term permits
Short-term permits are only given to once-off visitors from interstate and overseas, who must provide valid identification. Access keys must be returned before 4pm on the same day they are issued.

Apply online and collect your short-term permits from:

Werribee Visitor Information Centre (located at the Werribee Zoo)
Monday to Sunday, 9am–5pm
(03) 8734 6006 or email [email protected]
Western Treatment Plant
Monday to Friday, 9am–4pm
131 722 or email [email protected]

I have just returned from there. There is no problem to visit. If you are a foreign national(i.e not Australian) you can go to the tourist information centre at Werribee zoo to pick up a key for the treatment plant. There is no charge. It is about a 25 minute drive from there to the birding site. The key has to be returned to the Zoo by 1600 hours. Excellent place to visit. Tourist information very helpful and provided me with bird list and map of treatment plant.

This blog post may also be useful for you, Brian:
https://birdinglovers.com/2014/01/03/the-western-treatment-plant-for-beginners/

(Though there are two bird hides now, another one has been built since this post ;) )

Buon viaggo!

Nice write-up, thanks for making the effort. I am from Sydney and have only been around the edges of the WTP. But one day....

Incidentally, your aerial battle photo is of a Swamp Harrier, not Spotted Harrier. Note the white rump, which no other raptor has in Oz and is the easiest ID feature if seen.

https://birdinglovers.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/aerial-battle.jpg?w=607&h=1000

Last edited:
Brings back good memories of my day there in 2014. I was taken around by Melbourne birder Dave Davies. It really helped having a local and regular visitor to drive and go to the best places.

Nice write-up, thanks for making the effort. I am from Sydney and have only been around the edges of the WTP. But one day....

Incidentally, your aerial battle photo is of a Swamp Harrier, not Spotted Harrier. Note the white rump, which no other raptor has in Oz and is the easiest ID feature if seen.

https://birdinglovers.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/aerial-battle.jpg?w=607&h=1000

Thanks mr_birdman, but it's not my blog :)

I hope you have the opportunity to get into the WTP one day!

Thanks mr_birdman, but it's not my blog :)

I hope you have the opportunity to get into the WTP one day!

Thanks. :t:

Unfortunately, way too many errors are made in the identification of raptors. A classic example I have from several years ago was when a bird club member of Illawarra birders sent me a photo of a dark brown raptor they photographed near Kiama or so and it was identified by many in the field as a Red Goshawk. This included apparent raptor "experts" as well in the group. Needless to say it was nothing, but a simple adult female Swamp Harrier. And there are so many misidentified Aussie raptors online it makes me cringe. :eek!::eek!::eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back