• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southeast AZ late December (1 Viewer)

Chris1973

Hi All - I am planning on flying in to Tucson in late December for about 10 days of birding. I have not yet planned an itinerary, but is there a centrally located spot you would recommend as a base from which to day trip? Any advice is much appreciated. Looking to maximize birding time and minimize driving time.

Thank you.

It's a big area and the best winter birding spots are widely spaced. You'll probably want to visit sites like the Santa Cruz Flats, San Rafael Valley and Sulphur Springs Valley, so you might be best to move around a bit. Look at maybe spending a few nights each in Tucson, Sierra Vista, Rio Rico, etc.

Chris, take a look at the other threads on this Arizona sub-forum. There are many threads here (with many replies) asking for info on birding in southern AZ. I'm not really a birder so I can't help you much, but in several threads I've suggested other things to do in and around Tucson.

Here's a good thread to start: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=255561

Last edited:

Thank you guys. I've gone ahead and bookmarked that thread. Since it's my first time birding there I suppose I will see new species everywhere and shouldn't really concern myself with whether a particular site is known for Winter birding. B :)

I'm thinking now maybe a few days in Tucson, a few days southeast of Tucson and a few days south or southwest of Tucson....Have a couple of books on the way that will hopefully help educate me.

Happy birding

Have fun Chris. Like I said, I'm not a birder. I love birds, all birds, and have been feeding them for many years. But I'm not a birder. Maybe other resident bird watchers will chime in on the differences between winter and summer -- except for a couple of common species, I sure don't know. I just point people to what might be visited around here when you're not birdwatching -- of course that might never happen for most birders. ;)

A "must see" is the Chiricahua National Monument in SE Arizona. You should be able to combine that side-trip with birdwatching.

BTW Chris, this sub-forum is kinda slow. Your thread is the first new thread in almost a month . . . .

Last edited:
Onviously, for a us birder, spring, summer, and fall are better times to see something unexpected. Northern visitors are what you are likely to get in winter. However, as you say, for a relative newby, even winter is likely to get something interesting. I expect that the books you are talking about will be "gold".

Niels

Winter birding in SE Arizona is indeed different to spring, summer and fall, but it's excellent all the same. If you're interested in seeing some of our specialty birds, you can check which ones might be around, and where, on my website: http://www.arizonabirder.com/birding-in-se-arizona/specialty-birds-in-se-arizona/

Highlights of winter birding in our region include huge flocks of wintering Sandhill Cranes (Sulphur Springs Valley, eg: Whitewater Draw), Mountain Plovers (Santa Cruz Flats, sometimes Sulphur Springs Valley), Baird's Sparrow (San Rafael Valley), plus many more species of sparrow, easier-to-see thrashers, several hummingbird species, all the resident birds and one or two of the summer specialties which have begun to winter in small numbers (eg: Elegant Trogon).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back