• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 80mm tripod (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Hi all

I need a new tripod for my straight-through Kowa 883(4?), which is quite front-heavy of course.

Anything is considered, doesn't necessarily have to be super-light, just sturdy and hard-wearing.

What is everyone using these days please?

I've had bad experiences with Manfrotto's in the past as the metal perishes on the leg clamps, but they may have sorted that now.

Thanks in advance

Sean

Thanks Vespobuteo.

Your recommendation wouldn't work for my 884, as it is a straight-through scope and would need to be taller.

I also gather that a three-section tripod with a centre column would be more stable at full extension.

How easy and quickly do the twist-lock mechanisms work on the Gitzo's? I'm a little wary of this system, as surely a snap-lock system would be quicker?

Call the Audubon Shop in Madison, Connecticut [(203) 245-9056] about their Birder tripod. It's has two section legs (for quick setup) and a Manfrotto head. I have one under my Pentax 80mm. It's rock solid. A lot of pictures of local outings (e.g., Connecticut Ornithological Association), will show a lot of people using that set-up. I believe they ship worldwide. Ask for Jerry.

Thanks Vespobuteo.

Your recommendation wouldn't work for my 884, as it is a straight-through scope and would need to be taller.

I also gather that a three-section tripod with a centre column would be more stable at full extension.

How easy and quickly do the twist-lock mechanisms work on the Gitzo's? I'm a little wary of this system, as surely a snap-lock system would be quicker?

There is little difference in speed, but flip locks can be harder on your thumbs - especially in cold weather. The two top tripod brands (RRS and Gitzo) do not use flip locks. The twist lock system is far more secure, for example I have 3 Gitzo 3 series tripods that are rated between 12 and 18 kilos. All of them will support over 100 kilos with their legs extended to max height - flip locks just don't do that sort of thing. RRS and Gitzo weight ratings are VERY conservative to say the least!
More importantly their vibration damping makes them much more suitable for long lenses/scopes. Pity they are so expensive!

Thanks Vespobuteo.

There is an XLS-version, should be tall enough for most people:

http://www.gitzo.com/systematic-series-3-carbon-tripod-x-long-4-section-overhead-gt3542xls

Gitzo tripods have the twist G-lock (ultra) system, it's very fast and reliable.

Both these tripods have a max payload of 25 kg (conservative) so you don't have to worry about the legs flexing for the minor weight of a spotting scope and fluid head.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back