• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid First Impressions (1 Viewer)

jwillson

I picked up a 10x42 pair of Noctivids on Friday at my local Leica boutique--something I had been waiting for since the initial announcement. My previous pair of full size bins was a pair of 10x42 Ultravid HD's that I purchased some years ago (not the "plus" version). My use is a mix of general scenery observing/wildlife observing and astronomy. I have a pair of 8x32 Ultravid HD's that I prefer for daytime use due to their smaller size and weight. Here are some of the differences I found in comparing the new Noctivids to my older Ultravids...

First the view:

The contrast in the Noctivids is a very obvious improvement over the Ultravids. You can see this in good light, bad light, overcast conditions, basically everything but night sky viewing where contrast levels on stars are already so ridiculously high that small changes don't really matter.

The field is flatter on the Noctivids, but not dramatically so. I'd say the Noctivids are "sharp" roughly 70% of the way to the edge, while the Ultravids were sharp 50% of the way to the edge. Both designs show field curvature and coma if you look for it. Personally, I have never cared that much about having a perfectly flat field in my bins as long as the sweet spot is large enough to cover my area of concentration (where my eye has high resolution). Others, I know, would disagree vehemently, so make sure you know your own preferences.

The difference in brightness is small but detectable. Not enough to really matter, though. You can tell when doing an A/B comparison, but there's no "wow" factor like there is with the contrast.

Color cast is a touch more neutral in the Noctivid vs. the Ultravid, but both have a very slight (and I find very pleasing) warm cast. Noctivid is pretty close to neutral, though. Colors appear very saturated.

I don't wear glasses except for reading, so I can't speak to whether there is a major change in eye relief from a practical standpoint.

Both bins show fairly good control of on-axis chromatic aberration, but you'll still see color fringes if you go looking for them. I don't think the level of correction has changed significantly from the Ultravid HD's. Maybe a touch better?

Lateral chromatic aberration is present in both bins. This is most noticeable when using the bins for astronomy. It's not at all obtrusive for terrestrial use--frankly, the lack of a flat field and the off-axis coma will do more to prevent you from seeing sharp details than the lateral chromatic aberration, but it's definitely still there in about the same amount, to my eye, as in the Ultravids.

Flare suppression, both of veiling flare and present reflections, is really, really good in the Noctivid--noticeably better than in the Ultravids. If you do much observing with challenging light situations that tend to create flare, the Noctivids make a real improvement.

Now for the ergonomics and handling:

On paper, the Noctivids are quite a bit heavier. In practice, I didn't notice it in the hand, but I haven't yet spent a full day with the bins. If I had them around my neck for hours on end I'm sure I would notice.

I like the open bridge design a lot, though the placement of the strap lugs on the Noctivids is a touch annoying--rubs against my ginger when I rest it on the focuser.

I tend to hold bins with one hand close to the face for focusing and one hand farther down the barrels for additional stability. I am able to wrap my left hand around the barrel without a problem, but I have pretty skinny fingers for a man. I can imagine others finding them cramped.

Eye placement I found to be very easy and a bit more forgiving than with the Ultravids. The eye lens is huge on the new bins. However, I find I can't move my eye around much left or right to see the edges of the view without getting black outs. I don't do this much anyway, so I don't see it as a problem, but I understand the Swarovisions in particular are better in this regard, so if you are the type of person who moves his eye around rather than moving the glass, take that into account.

The focuser is a HUGE step up on the Ultravids. On my sample there is no backlash/play at all--none. Also, the focuser is very smooth and even in both directions. There was never any question on when I had achieved best focus, and i found myself searching back and forth much less than with the Ultravids--basically not at all.

Marketing hype:

I don't know what a "plastic" view is with regard to a binocular, so I'm not certain what the Leica marketing people were trying to convey there. I don't see any change in depth of field or in "3D" perception vs. the Ultravids. My samples are 10x bins, so the field of view is pretty narrow at short to medium distances. Much of my viewing is at infinity, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about depth of field.

In summary, The contrast is a noticeable improvement. The ergonomics are very good, but that's a pretty personal decision so your mileage may vary. The eye placement is easy and reasonably forgiving, but you still need to move the bins not your eye to see the edge of the field (due to black outs and flatness of field issues). The additional light transmission vs. the Ultravid HD's is detectable but it's not going to jump out at you.

I think they are a pretty significant step up on the Ultravid HD's. Perhaps less of a step up on the HD +'s? Don't know since I don't own those. They aren't a revolution, but all the alphas are now close enough to perfection for their design that only refinements are possible. If you were expecting a huge improvement you will be disappointed. If your expectations are more in line, the new bins deliver.

Hi JWillson,

Thanks for your review. I found it helpful. After you use it for 2-3 days or so for nature observation, would you mind responding with another update if any perceptions have changed (for better or worse)?

When I purchased my Ultravid+ it took me 2-3 days in the field to fully appreciate what I had. It didn't come to me right away, but after about a week I realized I made the best binocular purchase ever (for me).

I'd be happy to add more as the "first impressions" become more of a "review". This report is based upon perhaps five hours of observing time with the binoculars, so it's just enough to give a rough idea but not enough to know what it's like to really live with them.

The eye lens is huge on the new bins. However, I find I can't move my eye around much left or right to see the edges of the view without getting black outs. I don't do this much anyway, so I don't see it as a problem, but I understand the Swarovisions in particular are better in this regard, so if you are the type of person who moves his eye around rather than moving the glass, take that into account.

The focuser is a HUGE step up on the Ultravids. On my sample there is no backlash/play at all--none. Also, the focuser is very smooth and even in both directions.
I found the same with the new Geovid 8x56, comparing it to the EL 10x50

Thank you for that post #1, JWillson !!
This is a very well written review of yours. I couldn'agree more with most of what you say (I can only speak about the 8x, though).
On the subject of marketing hype: sadly, you confirm that, like me and others, you can't perceive that special 3D image and depth of field effect - are we doing something wrong here, or are our eyes simply not up to the job ? ....
Whatever ... the Noctivid's nevertheless remain very good instruments, and I think it is useful for everybody to have a new alpha available on the market - will be interesting to see which of the premium brands will do the next step.

Yep that is a meaningful preview. Good one.

It is amazing to read some of these issues with the Noctivid such as the CA, strap lugs and blackouts since I own a more lowly Hawke Sapphire 8x43 which has none of these issues and is lighter and has a wider fov to boot.

I guess that Noctovid contrast must be all worth it though I find no issue with the Sapphire in that regard either. With the Sapphire you could almost walk around without ever removing it from your eyes I have found.

I couldn't stand annoying strap lugs and I wouldn't like the other negatives either especially since I don't have to put up with them with my current 8x43 or even my other mid size bins. I'll settle for a little less contrast.

Last edited:

It is amazing to read some of these issues with the Noctivid such as the CA, strap lugs and blackouts since I own a more lowly Hawke Sapphire 8x43 which has none of these issues and is lighter and has a wider fov to boot.

I guess that Noctovid contrast must be all worth it though I find no issue with the Sapphire in that regard either. With the Sapphire you could almost walk around without ever removing it from your eyes I have found.

I couldn't stand annoying strap lugs and I wouldn't like the other negatives either especially since I don't have to put up with them with my current 8x43 or even my other mid size bins. I'll settle for a little less contrast.

Clive,

Your love for the midrange is as legit as the love for state of the art bins that others have.
There is no perfect bin. It's always a compromise, but it's all about the view and the view of the Noctivid is from a complete different league than your admired Sapphire.
At least for my eyes it is.
Is the difference in value worth it? That's for each to decide.

Jan

You might have a point here!
I have been using alpha bins for the last 30 years
But to be honest , when comparing the latest Nikon monarch HG with other alphas , I was astonished : lighter , bigger FOV , less CA, lighter , same contrast as the Leica NV.I will buy myself a HG for my collection!

Clive,

Your love for the midrange is as legit as the love for state of the art bins that others have. There is no perfect bin. It's always a compromise, but it's all about the view and the view of the Noctivid is from a complete different league than your admired Sapphire. At least for my eyes it is. Is the difference in value worth it? That's for each to decide. Jan

A balanced response. I certainly see the difference and fully agree. People find value in different ways. I begged my wife for the ride and handling of a BMW sedan, she found the much less expensive Toyota Avalon fully equal to the BMW, we each wanted to have the other committed.

But regardless of who's perspective is most correct Clive, there is certainly no call for personal attacks.

Going to breakfast now. In my Toyota.

Last edited:
Clive,

Your love for the midrange is as legit as the love for state of the art bins that others have.
There is no perfect bin. It's always a compromise, but it's all about the view and the view of the Noctivid is from a complete different league than your admired Sapphire.
At least for my eyes it is.
Is the difference in value worth it? That's for each to decide.

Jan

Actually I may have to apologise.

I read the first line as if I was coveting something that others had that I did not own, when he seems to be referring to others loving their state of the art bins? It could mean either I guess.

My bad. I grovel humbly to Jan for forgiveness. I will delete my mistaken reply and the last one also forthwith.

Last edited:
Actually I may have to apologise.

I read the first line as if I was coveting something that others had that I did not own, when he seems to be referring to others loving their state of the art bins.

My bad. I grovel humbly to Jan for forgiveness. I will delete my mistaken reply and the last one also forthwith.

Mmmm, and I just started to like your posts;)
I humble, tumble etc also if you feel obliged to restrict yourself.
Please keep up the good work:t:

Jan

yep I think my head goes a bit Pete Tong (wrong), probably a bit to often.

It's only a mid range head though :t:

Sadly non refundable or returns accepted :C

Livens the afternoon up a bit. Look forward to more from JWilson, that's if he comes back now. yikes :eek!:

I promise to be good (I hope).

Last edited:
You might have a point here!
I have been using alpha bins for the last 30 years
But to be honest , when comparing the latest Nikon monarch HG with other alphas , I was astonished : lighter , bigger FOV , less CA, lighter , same contrast as the Leica NV.I will buy myself a HG for my collection!
I'm with you. With the new Kamakura binoculars from Japan like the Maven B.2 and the Tract Toric 8x42 I see no reason at all to spend $2500.00 on binoculars anymore.

Nothing wrong with your choice not to get an alpha bin. They're not the kings of value. I wouldn't want others to get the wrong impression, though... The blackouts are only if you move your eye around from side to side very far--not a problem in general use, just if you try to look at the extreme edge of the field without moving the glass. And the on-axis chromatic aberration is very mild, just not completely gone. It is probably typical of most ED bins these days and a huge step up from pre-ED bins. The balance is good enough that the weight is not an issue in the hand, but could certainly get tiring after a few hours of carrying them. They are, at least, easy to hold steady and that might be partially because of the weight. The strap lugs are definitely an annoyance based on my hand size and placement.

yep I think my head goes a bit Pete Tong (wrong), probably a bit to often.

It's only a mid range head though :t:

Sadly non refundable or returns accepted :C

Livens the afternoon up a bit. Look forward to more from JWilson, that's if he comes back now. yikes :eek!:

I promise to be good (I hope).

I didn't take offense at anything you said--if you prefer mid range bins or a different set of alphas, by all means go for it and feel free to express your opinion. There was no ad hominem attack so I'm just fine.

Anyone even know what the Leica marketing team even meant by a more "plastic" view? Is that just something that doesn't translate well from German? 3D I understand--or at least I think I do. I may not perceive a difference, but I get the point. Plastic?

In any event, they are the best full size bins I have owned so far. I like them a lot, but it's still early days.

Anyone even know what the Leica marketing team even meant by a more "plastic" view? Is that just something that doesn't translate well from German? 3D I understand--or at least I think I do. I may not perceive a difference, but I get the point. Plastic?

In any event, they are the best full size bins I have owned so far. I like them a lot, but it's still early days.

Words in foreign languages that sound familiar but mean something different are called 'false friends' in teaching circles. In this case, rather than 'plasticity' having anything to do with plastic or being malleable, I am guessing Leica is referring to the alternative meanings of 'plastizität', namely: 'vividness' or graphicness'.

If someone knows better I am sure we would all love to hear it.
Maybe MAK might comment here.

Lee

With the Sapphire you could almost walk around without ever removing it from your eyes I have found.

This not recommended on health and safety grounds unless you wear a helmet, flak jacket, safety boots and a high-visibility vest.

You have been warned.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back