• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your local Patch/Reserve. (1 Viewer)

Welcome David and Niko,great to see and read of your local patches too!:t:
I hope you'll enjoy taking part in our friendly little area of BF!

Good to see the stars and stripes flying in this thread and to read of patches across the Atlantic.

Not so sure about the 'I only come to this forum when really bored' though.;)

Was lots of fun, glad you told me about this... i normally dont go into this forum unless I am extremely bored :pI need to get around to reading others posts, should be interesting :D

Oh Niko!!!! How could you say such a thing!;) It is a good job I know your sense of humour!o:D

Great to see you are having a good look around Niko and don't forget to join in! We are a friendly bunch on here o:)

Love to here a few bird reports from you, you too David!;)

Keep us updated on here with your patch also please!:t:

If this is correct then this is mine: HERE. It is called Nonsuch Park and it is where I got these: PICTURES from yesterday and the day before.
The best finds there (all mine because nobody birds there because its just a public park) are only Lesser-spotted Woodpecker and Little Owl.
I think it has a list of about 45 species. Not brilliant but it always makes an enjoyable visit. Ring-necked Parakeets are always present, too many of them now. Green Woodpeckers are often seen and Great-spotted Woodpeckers are present along with Nuthatches. In winter Redwings visit the bushes and in summer Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps are present with Swifts. Gulls fly over and occasionally land in winter. Moorhens and Mallards breed on the small ponds with reedbeds and Tawny Owls are heard if you dare to visit late in the evening when yobs are out and about.
I couldn't find any pictures of it, just the birds, so there is just the map.

Wow David...I have my bags packed and on my way!Only Lesser-spotted Woodpecker and Little Owl...I am definately on my way!o:D

What a wonderful account of your patch, thank you!

You realise that you will probably have a lot of birder company now that we all know about Nonsuch Park! What an amazing experience with the Kestrel too! Not everyday one get's as close as you did!

Thanks for sharing your patch with us all David and I hope you enjoy reading the other posts on this thread as much as I am.:t:

Thanks guys. I would also love a wetlands patch (I have been to Beddington Sewage Faarm which is three miles away but it is harder to get to). But I am quite content with Nonsuch.

Thanks guys. I would also love a wetlands patch (I have been to Beddington Sewage Faarm which is three miles away but it is harder to get to). But I am quite content with Nonsuch.

I would also be content with Nonsuch David ;)

I have just had a quick look at your Website, and Blog! They look very good David, I shall return to them later and have a good read.:t:

Hi I'm going to try and post some pictures here from this morning's dog walk. Not great pictures, I've deleted a few but here are the best ones.Barnbow wood.JPGSwallow run.JPGBarnbow wood 2.JPGShippen plantation.JPG

Wood near Scholes.JPG

I've named one picture Swallow run because as I stood on the footpath, swallows were flying up and down the lane passing within a foot or two of my head and legs. A nice experience.

You do yourself an injustice Chris...they are great pictures and thanks for showing us your dog walk patch:t: It looks a lovely place !
I bet your dog get's plenty of walks having such beautiful lanes to walk down!
Can I be your dog walker please;)
Swallow run sounds perfect after the encounter you had with the Swallows, how exciting that must have been to have them flying by so closely!

Thanks for sharing your walk Chris and I hope you didn't get too wet, it is chucking it down here.

Last edited:
This morning I had a flock of lark sparrows in my yard! :king:

this spring there were only about five sparrows and now theres over 20! theyre happy little mating machines :D I'm glad though, because the lark sparrows are getting threatened by loss of habitat in both SA and USA. I wish the dickcissels would build a nest (they probablky have but i havent noticed an increase in theire numbers) and the bobwhites. Also theres an adorable juv mockingbird hanging out in our backyard, and thte barn swallows dont fancy him much! they keep divebombing him!

Hi David,
I hope you are having a good day and better weather than we are at present..rain all day long here!!

What super birds you have visit your backyard! That is good news with the Lark Sparrows too :t: I have just googled all of your birds and I must say they are super looking birds!

That juvenile Mockingbird will soon get his own back when he matures though won't he, I have just read that they will attack or feign diving attacks on both domestic and wild felines, canines, crows and other birds, as well as humans who venture too close to their nest!!!:eek!: You keep well away David!:-O

Thanks for sharing your backyard news with us all!:t:

Just found this thread...great idea Pam.
My local reserve, of which I am a subscription paying Friend, is Rodley Nature Reserve. This is a former water treatment facility (sewage farm) that was converted to a nature reserve in the very late 90's. I don't get down there as often as I would wish as my day off no longer coincides with the day during the week when it is open. Weekends are difficult as I work Saturday and Sunday is usually spent with Sheila.
The road across the top of the first pic is the entrance road and the works you can see are still in use by Yorkshire Water, but the lower part of the pic is all reserve. There are now several ponds for dragonflies etc, which don't show as the picture is an old one from google earth.
They get surprisingly good birds at the reserve, including a spotted crake one year! It's one of the best places I know in the area for common gull, good for gt spot woodpecker and sparrowhawk. Excellent for whitethroat, chiffchaff and bullfinch and if you can remember the kingfisher I had for an avatar...I took the photo on the reserve.
I've also added some views of the main areas as marked on the map.

Attachments

• Rodley Nature Reserve.jpg
    Rodley Nature Reserve.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 192
  • duck marsh looking from hide 3.jpg
    duck marsh looking from hide 3.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Wet meadows 1.jpg
    Wet meadows 1.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Main Lagoon a2.jpg
    Main Lagoon a2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 185
Hi David,

That juvenile Mockingbird will soon get his own back when he matures though won't he, I have just read that they will attack or feign diving attacks on both domestic and wild felines, canines, crows and other birds, as well as humans who venture too close to their nest!!!:eek!: You keep well away David!:-O

Yup, ive learned to keep away! my 20 pounder maine coon cat had the top of his head pecked off all the way down to his skull (literally!! :eek!: ) and we had a lot of trouble fixing him up.

Just found this thread...great idea Pam.
My local reserve, of which I am a subscription paying Friend, is Rodley Nature Reserve. This is a former water treatment facility (sewage farm) that was converted to a nature reserve in the very late 90's. I don't get down there as often as I would wish as my day off no longer coincides with the day during the week when it is open. Weekends are difficult as I work Saturday and Sunday is usually spent with Sheila.
The road across the top of the first pic is the entrance road and the works you can see are still in use by Yorkshire Water, but the lower part of the pic is all reserve. There are now several ponds for dragonflies etc, which don't show as the picture is an old one from google earth.
They get surprisingly good birds at the reserve, including a spotted crake one year! It's one of the best places I know in the area for common gull, good for gt spot woodpecker and sparrowhawk. Excellent for whitethroat, chiffchaff and bullfinch and if you can remember the kingfisher I had for an avatar...I took the photo on the reserve.
I've also added some views of the main areas as marked on the map.

your patch looks wonderful, and sound wonderful too!

Thanks keith. Your reserve looks and sounds really good! Thanks for the pics and description of the reserve, some good birds you have there too! I do remember your Kingfisher Avatar, perhaps you should reinstate it to compliment your post!;)

I hope you will enjoy reading through the posts and links Keith, they are all brill!:t:

Yup, ive learned to keep away! my 20 pounder maine coon cat had the top of his head pecked off all the way down to his skull (literally!! :eek!: ) and we had a lot of trouble fixing him up.

Awgh David, the poor cat:-C Hope he has fully recovered.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back