• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your local Patch/Reserve. (1 Viewer)

Caught up at last;) . This was a really good idea for a thread Pam, its great to see where everyone does their birding and learn a bit about the areas too, accompanied by some lovely photos.

Best Wishes

Yesterday (Sunday) I visited another local reserve. Saltwells Nature Reserve.
http://www.dudley.gov.uk/environmen...ve-/history-of-saltwells-local-nature-reserve

The morning started off dull and dry but soon deteriorated to drizzle and then heavier rain! Undeterred I spent a good couple of hours walking through the woods, Doulton's Claypit and back again through the woods to the reservoir,then a walk back via another route through the woods! Very pleasant indeed. I shall certainly keep this reserve noted in my diary for the arrival of the Bluebells, although I will more than likely make this reserve a regular feature as the ever changing seasons bring new and exciting Flora and Fauna.

Photos 1 & 2 are of Doulton's Claypit, showing the outcrops of the Lower Carboniferous coals and clays. Photo 3 shows the small stream flowing through the woods. Photo 4 shows the reed bed in Doulton's Claypit, where I will hopefully find plenty of Odonata next year!

Attachments

• P1120137.jpg
    P1120137.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 176
  • P1120138.jpg
    P1120138.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 177
  • P1120169.jpg
    P1120169.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 161
  • P1120157.jpg
    P1120157.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 187
Lol Good to see your going to stick in with the odonata next year Pam!!!

Looks a real nice area. I can just see you tip toeing across those tree trunks so as not to get the feet wet!

Lol Good to see your going to stick in with the odonata next year Pam!!!

Looks a real nice area. I can just see you tip toeing across those tree trunks so as not to get the feet wet!

Ha ha!!! That is the best laugh I have had all day Brian.....as if I would even attempt to cross the stream there!;) No, the photo was taken on the narrow but perfectly adequate bridge!

I am definately sticking with my favourite new word Odonata, Brian :t:

Hi Pam
That's a nice looking reserve,and an interesting history too!
Love the Bluebell wood and the cliffs :t:
Great pics, thanks
Cheers
Tony

Hi Pam,
I love your pics and all the info about another of your reserves this time in Dudley.....(sorry I can't say Dudley withoout practising my Brummie accent:-O !!)
I bet it will look stunning next May when the Bluebells will be out.....you must return and take some pics!:t:
The little bridge reminds me of the Pooh stick bridge....did you play?
This thread is filling up nicely with everyones patches,well done all they are great to see!:t:

Hi Pam
That's a nice looking reserve,and an interesting history too!
Love the Bluebell wood and the cliffs :t:
Great pics, thanks
Cheers
Tony

Thanks Tony! There were loads of Damson and Apple trees loaded with fruit along the pathway of the edge of the woods, I may go back for a few damsons;)
Hi Pam,
I love your pics and all the info about another of your reserves this time in Dudley.....(sorry I can't say Dudley withoout practising my Brummie accent:-O !!)
I bet it will look stunning next May when the Bluebells will be out.....you must return and take some pics!:t:
The little bridge reminds me of the Pooh stick bridge....did you play?
This thread is filling up nicely with everyones patches,well done all they are great to see!:t:

Think of Lenny Henry saying Dudley, he was born there!o:D I am a Brummie, so I cannot help with the accent;)
I certainly will take some pics of the Bluebells...should be quite a sight! I didn't have time to play, Ruth...I was too busy looking for the Flora,perhaps next time!;)

Agreed Ruth, the patches are great to see!!! Thanks everyone!:t:

ps: I forgot to say in my post that 6 Green Sandpipers were reported at Upton Warren on Sunday......I missed them! Oh well perhaps next weekend they may still be there;) Seems as though it was a G.Sandpiper weekend!

I promised to add something, so here it is. These are a few pics of my very local patch, that is, where I walk from home without needing the car. Hope to pop to Sutton Bingham later in the week, so will add that as and when. This area really is just countryside, there's no reserve or SSI, simply mixed farming.

Attachments

• My Patch 1.jpg
    My Patch 1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 195
  • My Patch 2.jpg
    My Patch 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 170
  • My Patch 3.jpg
    My Patch 3.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 189
  • My Patch 5.jpg
    My Patch 5.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 194
Lovely pics Pam and Wendy. That's not just countryside, Wendy! It is soooo pretty.

I promised to add something, so here it is. These are a few pics of my very local patch, that is, where I walk from home without needing the car. Hope to pop to Sutton Bingham later in the week, so will add that as and when. This area really is just countryside, there's no reserve or SSI, simply mixed farming.

Thank you very much Wendy for the information and photos! It really looks a lovely place for your local patch. I would say mixed farming is a bonus for the wildlife you have in your area:t: .You chose well when you decided to settle there Wendy!

Looking forward now to seeing and hearing about Sutton Bingham, I hope you have a sunny day when you go! Enjoy!

Sutton Bingham.

At last, I managed an hour at SB reservoir. I've posted pictures before of some of the frequent residents, so I'll stick to location today. Not sure what the flowers are, but they look very crocus-like and I wonder if someone has planted them in the grass.

The birds and other wildlife do have to share their body of water with the sailing club and fishermen, but usually it is a very quiet and peaceful location.

You can see more at http://www.geocities.com/suttonbingham/ but be aware that the site has not been updated for more than a year! It's the best that I can find!;)

Attachments

• SB1.jpg
    SB1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 190
  • SB2.jpg
    SB2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 196
  • SB3.jpg
    SB3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 191
  • SB crocus.jpg
    SB crocus.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 199
Well having just had a walk locally I kinda almost wished I had had a digi camera with me so I could have up loaded the mas of Amphibious Bistort on the lake. It looked wonderful in the sun.

I thought Wendys flower looked like Soapwort, but see that is a tall plant so must be wrong.

You can see more at http://www.geocities.com/suttonbingham/ but be aware that the site has not been updated for more than a year! It's the best that I can find!;)

Thanks Wendy!:t: It does looks a great place to visit. I have had a quick look at the link and I can see the Bird Species list is quite an impressive one! I will as always have a more thorough look around Sutton Bingham again, probably with a cup of coffee by my side in the morning!;) I am enjoying all of these contributions immensely!
I cannot help at present with the flower, I have had a very quick look for it in my book..but to no avail. Let's hope Brian has managed an ID for it!;)

Thanks again Wendy for sharing Sutton Bingham with us all and I hope you enjoyed your hour there today, looking at the photos you would be hard pushed not to enjoy it there! Hope you saw a few nice birds too! Pics are great too!:t:

Well having just had a walk locally I kinda almost wished I had had a digi camera with me so I could have up loaded the mas of Amphibious Bistort on the lake. It looked wonderful in the sun.

I thought Wendys flower looked like Soapwort, but see that is a tall plant so must be wrong.

The shops are open tomorrow Brian;)

We would all I am sure love to see the mass of Amphibious Bistort in the sun!:t:

Have you an ID yet for Wendys flower?

Pam_m;984084 Have you an ID yet for Wendys flower?[/QUOTE said:
No I haven't.;) I wonder if Wendy is correct and it has been planted out. I am sure someone will have the answer. Some of these garden escapes are very confusing to a botanical birder. Not that I am saying it is of course, so will be interested to know what it is.

Hi Brian and Pam,

It's definitely not Soapwort, Brian, I've just looked that up in my wildflower book. It really does look like an autumn flowering crocus. There were two patches that I saw, about 5 yards apart, each with about the same number of flowers. The grass has been cut for hay at some point, so I guess it's come up since then.

Didn't see a great deal today, except for dozens of Canadas and Mallards, plus the ubiquitous 'gulls'...impossible to identify at the best of times, but summer is the worst of times!

However, on the way back across the causeway, I spotted something white on the edge of the water, stopped and upped the bins, then grabbed the camera. I think it was a Great White Egret! Didn't mention it before, as I wasn't too sure. Put a cropped version of the pic on the identify forum and one person has now come back with the same thought as me. Perhaps you'd care to take a look!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back