• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3rd party batteries supplier. (1 Viewer)

Robin Harrison

...................probably been asked a thousand times but I've been out of the loop for a time.
Can someone suggest a supplier of reliable batteries; I'm in Ontario.
Thanks.
Robin

Yet to have a problem with Ex-pro, others have experienced problems with 3rd party battery life which may have been due to not choosing the same storage capacity (Mah) as the OEM battery.

Depending on which model camera you use you might find problems with third party ones. It appears Canon are making their recent bodies unable to use third party ones and my !DX2 's charger didn't appear to be able to charge a 3rd party battery that had worked happily in both 1D4 and 1Dx bodies and chargers. I recently sold my 5D3 with a 3rd party battery ( as it wouldn't work in the 5D4) but it appeared to no longer work properly with the 5D3 either after the new owner loaded the most recent firmware.He bought a new Canon battery and all the problems were solved.
So beware, especially if you are likely to change bodies in the near future too.

It appears Canon are making their recent bodies unable to use third party ones [...]

Wouldn't it be simpler to assume that there may be more variety in third party batteries? Maybe I am naive, but I feel pretty safe buying Baxxtar or similar established brands to replace my "originals". Have never had any problems.

Wouldn't it be simpler to assume that there may be more variety in third party batteries? Maybe I am naive, but I feel pretty safe buying Baxxtar or similar established brands to replace my "originals". Have never had any problems.

But in which bodies do you use them?
Strange to me that the same battery would work in one body but not another.

But in which bodies do you use them?
Strange to me that the same battery would work in one body but not another.

I have only used the 450D and the SX50. In the latter case Baxxtar worked fine, as good as the originals. And various Nikon1 models. Again, no problems.

Of course this issue (if it exists) might be limited to Canon's top-cameras. I have googled for the 5D4 and found an article in German. Apparently the 5D4 has a new feature: asking its owner whether the battery has a Canon logo. This site explains, however, that the question is innocuous, it's just part of a dialogue, and the user can tell the camera to accept a third-party battery.

The issue certainly exists, and the feature telling you the camera can't communicate with the battery is one that has been around for a good while and can be ignored on those cameras where the message appears. When the camera refuses to turn itself on it's a different matter.
Of course my experience is limited to just a few models.
Canon are not the only players in the this market of non compatibility either. Aperture won't recognise 5D4 RAW images, Photoshop's CS6 won't recognise either the 1DX2 or 5D4 RAWs. It's all part of the plan to make us spend more!

The issue certainly exists, and the feature telling you the camera can't communicate with the battery is one that has been around for a good while and can be ignored on those cameras where the message appears. When the camera refuses to turn itself on it's a different matter.
Of course my experience is limited to just a few models.
Canon are not the only players in the this market of non compatibility either. Aperture won't recognise 5D4 RAW images, Photoshop's CS6 won't recognise either the 1DX2 or 5D4 RAWs. It's all part of the plan to make us spend more!

When the camera refuses to turn itself on, it may be wise to have more spare batteries with you. Which seems easier with Minadax LP-E6 @ Euro 16.70 vs the Euro 60+ of the Canon original. All reviewers seem to agree that the Canon is best, but I see lots of reports where it fails, too. In the test to which I linked above, the Minadax is rated second (89%) behind Canon at 99.5%. If Canon is evil, maybe it isn't quite as evil as HP with its proprietary ink-jet ink. ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back