• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First swift 2019 (1 Viewer)

Had my first over the garden about 3 days ago. Today a small number with House + Sand Martins at the London Wetland Centre.

Just done my monthly report for Birdwatching magazine and the first Leicestershire record I could find was Groby Pool on April 25th. I saw my first 8 at Rutland Water the next day and have had some most days since. At least 75 at Swithland Res this morning along with impressive numbers of hirundines.

Steve

Hi,

This morning 4 may enderby Leicestershire

First one just shot past by my window here in Hamburg.

I can see four potential swift nests from my window, but competition is getting stiffer every year, with starlings and tits checking out all nests this year, and jackdaws flying in and out of one particular one.

(Last year, the swifts managed to evict the jackdaws from that nest, much to my surprise.)

Regards,

Henning

First three or four briefly back at their breeding site in school yesterday (about a week later than usual, but in line with weather conditions and last year's arrival).

Saw a pair mating from the window last evening, the second time now that I've witnessed it, the first time being one morning two years ago. Fabulous to see and not, from what I can glean from various sources, something that's seen too often.

What are the chances? watched a pair mating on the wing again this morning (18 May) from the window at 09.42 BST. And to correct my previous posting it was actually three years ago (7th May 2016) when I first observed a pair mating on the wing, and that was at 09.20 BST.

Hi everyone,

Watching the swifts from my balcony yesterday, I had three of them zip past me much closer than usual.

They were going really fast and flying in a wide horizontal arc, and I heard the hiss of the air over their wings as they went by.

Quite amazing, first time ever I was able to witness that!

Regards,

Henning

Definitely more Swifts in the last few days than before this spring - obviously more have come in lately - very late.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back