• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your local Patch/Reserve. (1 Viewer)

Glad you enloyed your day at Coombes valley and the canal Pam. I only live a few miles from there and have visited about half a dozen times. Coombes is a nice place for a walk but I don't rate it as a good birding spot. It's well known for Flycatchers there and the Kingfisher at the pond but someone in their wisdom decided to take down the hide by the pond so the chances of seeing the Kingfisher and a lot of other birds has diminished greatly. I don't know if it was a RSPB decision or the head guy at Coombes.
Jim.

Thanks Matt, Ruth, Pie and Jim for your feedback to this thread.

I agree, Matt, it would be nice to see where others have been or perhaps intend going and ask for advice on habitat or whatever. It needn't be a local patch or area! It is good to read of wide ranging places to visit!

I hope your next visit will be fruitful, Ruth! Don't forget to share it with us!;)

A great link you have added, thanks Pie!:t: Do please let us know what you see on your next visit to Howardian Local Nature Reserve or anywhere else that you venture to!

Pity about the hide, Jim! A bad decision by who ever made it! Otherwise a well managed reserve I felt.

someone in their wisdom decided to take down the hide by the pond so the chances of seeing the Kingfisher and a lot of other birds has diminished greatly. I don't know if it was a RSPB decision or the head guy at Coombes.
Jim.

Yes I agree re the removal of a super and in bad weather a much needed hide Jim!:-C
We've sat and sheltered (and eaten our lunch) many a time in it!
We wondered whether it was because of the nearby public footpath and the fact that it might have been at risk from vandals but surely it could have been locked when the reserve was closed for the night??
It will certainly put us off from visiting when the weather is bad.

I spent this afternoon with a visiting family friend seeking out a new wood that is only just under 10 minutes from my home. It is called Uffmoor Wood. Not many birds to be seen or heard but the butterflies put on a fine display on the perimeter of the woods.
A sunny and warm afternoon spent in a delightful wood that will in the Autumn/Winter and Spring I am sure produce some fine birding.

http://www.wt-woods.org.uk/uffmoorwood/description.asp

Attachments

• P1270001.JPG
    P1270001.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 168
  • P1270006.JPG
    P1270006.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 153
  • P1270008.JPG
    P1270008.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_4131.JPG
    100_4131.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_4135.JPG
    100_4135.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 152
Lovely Woodland pics Pam, the Butterflies have finally put in appearance after such a wet windy summer, it's been great seeing them in the garden and dancing along the hedgerows.
Hope you get lots of nice things in your new found woodland Pam!

Bat Walk at Bute Park Cardiff
This evening I joined an organised walk at Bute Park. The meeting place is commonly known as Blackwier. The Taff Trail Ive talked about in my reports, runs alongside the park.
The group set off at 9pm armed with Bat detectors & torches provided by the warden, with still plenty of evening light, we got excellent views of Common pipistrelle, darting around our heads and taking advantage of the flying insects. We were told the C'pip can eat over 3,000 insects in one night.
The echolocation was clearly heard on the detectors.
The clouds were high due to the night humidity, which meant the Swallows & Martins were still feeding on insects at a higher level.

As we headed toward the River, the darkness suddenly descended and we continued by torchlight.
The detectors continued to pick up Pips and was soon joined by the sound of Noctule Bats. The Noctule is twice the size of the pipistrelle, & the wardens powerful torch gave us excellent views before focusing his torch on the river where we got to see Daubenton's Bats, known to skim river beds for insects.

By the time we headed back, the group felt confident enough to id the different species by their sound.

I really enjoyed the evening, and I'm tempted to but a Bat detector & look for other species like the Lesser horseshoe known at another site not so far away. Problem is, I would like a Moth trap too!!!

Beautiful butterfly pics Pam!:t:
I had a Holly blue in the garden for most of the day yesterday!o:D

Nice to read about your Bat walk Pie......it all sounds ever so technical and you must let us know if you decide to take the plunge and get a detector,fascinating stuff!:t:

I thought I would ressurect this thread and see if anyone who posted and of course those who haven't would like to give an update of there Patch/Area/Reserve that they visit! Of course new 'Patches etc' would be most welcome.

I visited RSPB Coombes Valley in Staffordshire on Sunday, a reserve I had read about many times and was on my 'to visit' list! I was not to be disappointed. The reserve is splendid. There is a short walk or a longer walk for the more energetic! The longer walk was chosen! It was a pleasant day weatherwise with sunny intervals and warm. I am pleased they were just sunny intervals as the walk seemed to go on forever! There are many pathways that meander through the reserve bringing a fresh view on reaching a bend in the pathway or once the hilly paths had been climbed a panoramic view of the countryside unfolded! Not many birds to be seen in truth but the ones seen were a delight! Whitethroat, Grey Wagtail. Jay and a Kestrel were perhaps the highlights. Butterflies were thin on the ground, Meadow Brown being the main one to be seen and ID'd! Plenty of flies etc in the fields were the cattle grazed...a quick walk through these fields was in order..no bites for me thanks!
All in all a very pleasing reserve that is excellently managed to provide a range of habitat for all wildlife. A reserve I would definately visit again. Well done the RSPB!:t:

A short drive from Coombes Valley is the Caldon Canal. A pleasant walk along the canal produced a lifer for me! A Spotted Flycatcher! Great views were had as it flew from the trees on the opposite side of the canal to a scaffolded building alongside the canal path, and there it perched for a good couple of minutes each time. The lighting was very dim as the trees shaded this part of the canal, so a good photo from me was not to be. I can thoroughly recommend a walk along this canal, plenty of Flora if not many birds. Just the odd Spotted flycatcher.;) I can also recommend a visit to the local hostelry situated by the canal bridge...they do a mean Rib eye steak!o:D

A few photo's of the S.Flycatcher and my thanks to my daughter Emma who took the 2 good pics and kindly donated them to this post, :t:my photo is the silhouette!;)

A link to Coombes Valley.http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/c/coombeschurnet/index.asp

Hi Pam

I am glad you have ressurect this thread and I will add some posts here myself in the future now

Catching up on this thread (added it to my automatic responses now) and I really enjoyed reading your report about the Spotted Flycatcher Pam (and Emma)

The Whitehroat and the Grey Wagtail will be a great addition to the trip out

The butterfly pictures are super, and thank you for sharing. Is it me or is there a shortage of butterflies this year?

Super report Pam, lots of interest for you to share here

I spent this afternoon with a visiting family friend seeking out a new wood that is only just under 10 minutes from my home. It is called Uffmoor Wood. Not many birds to be seen or heard but the butterflies put on a fine display on the perimeter of the woods.
A sunny and warm afternoon spent in a delightful wood that will in the Autumn/Winter and Spring I am sure produce some fine birding.

http://www.wt-woods.org.uk/uffmoorwood/description.asp

Again another interesting place to investigate Pam. Again the picture of the butterflies are super and I love it when they allow you to take a close up picture of them.

Just a lovely day out for you I am sure of that. Well worth it, and thank you for sharing once more

Lovely Woodland pics Pam, the Butterflies have finally put in appearance after such a wet windy summer, it's been great seeing them in the garden and dancing along the hedgerows.
Hope you get lots of nice things in your new found woodland Pam!

Bat Walk at Bute Park Cardiff
This evening I joined an organised walk at Bute Park. The meeting place is commonly known as Blackwier. The Taff Trail Ive talked about in my reports, runs alongside the park.
The group set off at 9pm armed with Bat detectors & torches provided by the warden, with still plenty of evening light, we got excellent views of Common pipistrelle, darting around our heads and taking advantage of the flying insects. We were told the C'pip can eat over 3,000 insects in one night.
The echolocation was clearly heard on the detectors.
The clouds were high due to the night humidity, which meant the Swallows & Martins were still feeding on insects at a higher level.

As we headed toward the River, the darkness suddenly descended and we continued by torchlight.
The detectors continued to pick up Pips and was soon joined by the sound of Noctule Bats. The Noctule is twice the size of the pipistrelle, & the wardens powerful torch gave us excellent views before focusing his torch on the river where we got to see Daubenton's Bats, known to skim river beds for insects.

By the time we headed back, the group felt confident enough to id the different species by their sound.

I really enjoyed the evening, and I'm tempted to but a Bat detector & look for other species like the Lesser horseshoe known at another site not so far away. Problem is, I would like a Moth trap too!!!

Hi Pie

Great Bat report, Sue It must have been a great experience for you to feel and see the bats around you. To see two and more different types of Bats makes it a more interesting evening.

I did not realise that you could ID Bats by their sound so another snippet of information to digest here. Thought it was by their size and habits.

It is certainly a different thing to do for a night out. :-O

Kathy
x

Thanks Pie, Ruth and Kathy for your kind comments.

A great report of your 'Bat' evening, Pie! Was it spooky out there in the dark?o:D Lovely to see the bats though! I saw my first Noctural bats at the end of April this year at the Moors Pools, Upton Warren. Just after dusk the Pipistrelles emerged then the Noctural, an amazing bat to see aren't they?
Funnily enough I was only talking last week of setting up a moth trap. I would make my own up though with a few egg boxes, torch and an old sheet!o:D I might try it over the weekend. Glad you had such a productive evening and thanks for sharing on this thread! Great to read of what we have in our 'local' areas!:t:
PS: Pie, an update please if you buy a Bat detector!;)

Ruth, I had a fleeting glance of a Holly blue the other day in my garden! lovely aren't they! Hope you get more butterfly species now the weather has changed for the better!:D

Looking forward to a few reports from you, kathy!:t:

Hi Pam

Yes, I will do as many reports as I can with my trusty camera in hand Pam

Looking forward to doing that now as photos make a makes a report what it really is, and adds that extra interest to the written word.

Kathy
x

Hi Pam

Yes, I will do as many reports as I can with my trusty camera in hand Pam

Looking forward to doing that now as photos make a makes a report what it really is, and adds that extra interest to the written word.

Kathy
x

Great to hear, kathy!:t:

I visited the WWT National Wetland Centre, Llanelli, Wales, last Saturday and had a most enjoyable day. It was a Centre I had wanted to visit for a while but I had really chosen a quiet time of year to visit for birds. They were few and far between, though a Little Egret, 60 Black-Tailed Godwits,10 Redshank, Common Snipe and Cormorant were a delight to see. In truth apart from the Mallards and the odd Coot there wasn't an awful lot on or around the scrapes. Plenty of juvenile Moorhens along the pathways almost begging for seed handouts, I had forgotten to buy a bag and felt a bit guilty! The Flora around the centre was abundant and looked very picturesque in the sunshine, it would still have cheered the day had it been raining, which fortunately it did not do today. The Islands on the pools and scrapes looking particularly pretty with a mass of Flora. The feeding station next to the visitor Centre cafe was a delight to watch, a Jay and Great spotted Woodpecker being the highlight. Plenty of Finches vied for a perch on the feeders and I was especially pleased to see the House Sparrows, a rarity in my neck of the woods (well my garden). A few dragon/damselflies and the odd Speckled Wood and Meadow Brown braved the sunny but still cool day. I would visit the centre again but in the late Autumn or Spring. All in all a day well spent at the Wetland Centre. 3 Red kites were seen on the journey through Wales on Friday and the same amount on the way home on Sunday!
Magnificient birds!:t:

http://www.wwt.org.uk/centre/120/national_wetland_centre_wales.html

Attachments

• P1260566.JPG
    P1260566.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 109
  • P1260569.JPG
    P1260569.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 121
  • P1260659.JPG
    P1260659.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 129
  • P1260676.JPG
    P1260676.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Azure Damselfly.JPG
    Azure Damselfly.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Nice report and pics Pam!
Tis a quiet time of the year tho isn't it?
Still it'll soon be Autumn now and then the Geese will be arriving at your WWT and at ours up in Lancs!
Love the Azure D'fly......great shot!!

Morning All,
Thanks Pam, Kathy & Ruth for your replies to my Bat walk, I fancied the idea of a Bat detector last year when I met a woman using one in a hedgerow looking for Crickets.

Pam, The reserve at Llanelli looks like a good place to visit, your pictures are so inviting, I'm hoping the downpour here stops soon as the humidity & heat should be good for Butterflies etc. Pictures like yours always make me feel "twitchy" lol!

Re; Moth trap.
I'm interested to know more about your plan to make a trap Pam, are you going to buy a light bulb? The equipment looks expensive, but I'd love to look into it.
Keep us posted Pam.

Thanks Pie and Ruth!

Hope the rain stopped and that you managed to see a few butterflies today, Pie! I am hoping to see a few more butterflies and hopefully dragon/damselflies over the weekend. A visit to Upton Warren for me sometime over the weekend, I haven't been there for a couple of weeks and I am having withdrawal symptoms!o:D

Thanks for the link, Ruth!:t:

Now then ladies, I have concocted a moth trap and will test it out this evening! If successful I will report back to you...if you hear nothing from me than you can assume it was a failure!o:D

Thank you for the link Ruth, I can see she had success without using a costly bulb, so Ive picked up a small blue uv one for a couple of pounds & made a "sort of" trap. The perspex was too expensive but luckily the chap took pity on me & gave me some from a leaflet display unit! :t:
Anyway, fingers crossed! :t:

How was your day at Upton warren Pam? Did your Moth trap work? I'm waiting for inspiration!

I can't inspire you, my Moth trap didn't work, Pie!:-C Good luck with yours.....sounds as though you had a good deal with your equipment! I shall persevere and report back when I have something to report!:-O Let us know how you get on please, Pie!

A report on Upton Warren sometime tomorrow!

I can't inspire you, my Moth trap didn't work, Pie!:-C Good luck with yours.....sounds as though you had a good deal with your equipment! I shall persevere and report back when I have something to report!:-O Let us know how you get on please, Pie!

Oh that's a shame Pam......back to the drawing board eh?:king:
good luck with your effort Pie......do let us know won't you?

Oh that's a shame Pam......back to the drawing board eh?:king:
good luck with your effort Pie......do let us know won't you?

Ha ha! Yes back to the drawing board, Ruth! Thunderstorms this evening so I will not bother with my new concoction!o:D I wonder if Pie has had any better luck?

Looking forward to a few reports from you, kathy!:t:

Hi Pam

No worries Pam anytime with the support here

Here I am and here I am to stay. Fabulous to hear and see bats Ruth and Pam. We had to luck of having them in Menorca flying around our holiday chalet and around our heads while we walked around our holiday place and it was very close to water too. I would not thing that bats and sea fronts go together but they do.

It is amazing to hear their high pitch squeaks and they never seen to touch you at all.

It is interesting to hear about your Moth Traps Pam/Ruth

I visited the WWT National Wetland Centre, Llanelli, Wales, last Saturday and had a most enjoyable day. It was a Centre I had wanted to visit for a while but I had really chosen a quiet time of year to visit for birds. They were few and far between, though a Little Egret, 60 Black-Tailed Godwits,10 Redshank, Common Snipe and Cormorant were a delight to see. In truth apart from the Mallards and the odd Coot there wasn't an awful lot on or around the scrapes. Plenty of juvenile Moorhens along the pathways almost begging for seed handouts, I had forgotten to buy a bag and felt a bit guilty! The Flora around the centre was abundant and looked very picturesque in the sunshine, it would still have cheered the day had it been raining, which fortunately it did not do today. The Islands on the pools and scrapes looking particularly pretty with a mass of Flora. The feeding station next to the visitor Centre cafe was a delight to watch, a Jay and Great spotted Woodpecker being the highlight. Plenty of Finches vied for a perch on the feeders and I was especially pleased to see the House Sparrows, a rarity in my neck of the woods (well my garden). A few dragon/damselflies and the odd Speckled Wood and Meadow Brown braved the sunny but still cool day. I would visit the centre again but in the late Autumn or Spring. All in all a day well spent at the Wetland Centre. 3 Red kites were seen on the journey through Wales on Friday and the same amount on the way home on Sunday!
Magnificient birds!:t:

http://www.wwt.org.uk/centre/120/national_wetland_centre_wales.html

Hi Pam

Fabulous report Pam and I loved to hear about all your adventures to see all of the birds that you managed to see.

Thank you for your link as it is so intersting to see what species are around differnet places. Yes, that will be added onto the list to places to visit.

Yet a lot of intersting information to read here. Any more luck with butterflies Pam?
We where lucky to see a Meadow Brown our Garden area sitting on a flower. mkaes a change from the endless Large Whites. I wish I had my camera at that moment but not to be. Blast it!!
I will be more camera aware if a trip into the back garden is needed for any reason.

Hi Pam

Sorry to hear that the Moth Traps did not work. There must be a few different ways of attracting them, and catching them

They are so interesting to watch and it is another lesrning curb to find out all about them, their species, and their habits

I am looking forward to hesring about your Trip to Upton Warren, Pam

Next post my report about Essex from the other day.

Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back