• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

small skua in Clevedon today (1 Viewer)

cafe birder

Supporter
This bird which was also seen in Wales (see @Tatelloyd76 for further pics.) has divided opinion between arctic and long-tailed so without expressing a final view myself I thought it would be instructive to post here. Flight picture lightened slightly, otherwise all just cropped if necessary. Bird walked up to us a couple of times and flew to within 3 feet at one stage....so quite tame

Attachments

• small skua 1.jpg
    small skua 1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 211
  • small skua 2.jpg
    small skua 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 217
  • small skua 3.jpg
    small skua 3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 172
This bird which was also seen in Wales (see @Tatelloyd76 for further pics.) has divided opinion between arctic and long-tailed so without expressing a final view myself I thought it would be instructive to post here. Flight picture lightened slightly, otherwise all just cropped if necessary. Bird walked up to us a couple of times and flew to within 3 feet at one stage....so quite tame
There is clear contrast between remiges and paler wing coverts and no pale patch below wing, so surely Long-tailed.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I posted pics on twitter and got about a 50/50 split in ID which just confirmed to me how difficult skuas are.

I have now spent a few hours with books and reexamined all my pics including the one I should have posted which is attached.

In brief I have satisfied myself that its a long-tailed and almost certainly a moulting adult. I was swayed by: bill slightly too deep for arctic, dark trailing edge to upper secondaries in one pic, only two white feather shafts in upperwing, no clear white bases to primaries below, too smooth a lower edge to front of cap, slightly lower proportion to head projection v wing width.

I was heavily swayed by the supposedly diagnostic white flecking around bill in arctic skua which this shows in some pics but now have to believe this cannot be diagnostic in this age class.

I hoped the pale/dark ratio in the tarsus would be useful but it does not seem to be from my study

Again many thanks to all, I have learnt a lot

Attachments

• long tailed skua crop dowlais.JPG
    long tailed skua crop dowlais.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back