• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

our long term friend (1 Viewer)

We have a small bird, a stonechat I believe. It has been with us since the beginning of September (5 months now) and comes to our bedroom window from first light, tapping at the window by flying up and down against the window and hitting it with either it's feet or wing. I have lowered the outside blind so it cannot fly to the top of the window allowing it to hit the window harder. It stays around most of the day, every day and is often still around the window area till half light in the evening.

Today, it has been tapping the window with a beak full of nest material!!

Can anyone explain this behaviour to me please?

This is likely a bird attacking its reflection, protecting its territory. Quite common with garden birds such as Great or Blue Tits, Robin and others but first time I've heard of a Stonechat as they are usually quite shy.

That's curious indeed! I agree with the fact that your bird is acting territorial against its own reflection. Carry nesting material while doing this - I've never heard of. I imagine you are in the countryside somewhere because Stonechats rarely come in to gardens in built up areas.

We have a small bird, a stonechat I believe. It has been with us since the beginning of September (5 months now) and comes to our bedroom window from first light, tapping at the window by flying up and down against the window and hitting it with either it's feet or wing. I have lowered the outside blind so it cannot fly to the top of the window allowing it to hit the window harder. It stays around most of the day, every day and is often still around the window area till half light in the evening.

Today, it has been tapping the window with a beak full of nest material!!

Can anyone explain this behaviour to me please?

A photo (mobile phone even) from inside might be interesting.

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. Hopefully I have attached a couple of photos.

hope these help.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4358.jpeg
    IMG_4358.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4143.jpeg
    IMG_4143.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 24
Our long term friend

Hi

I have managed another photo!!! Taken all day, but got there in the end!!

Attachments

• IMG_5620.jpeg
    IMG_5620.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 26
A photo (mobile phone even) from inside might be interesting.

That's curious indeed! I agree with the fact that your bird is acting territorial against its own reflection. Carry nesting material while doing this - I've never heard of. I imagine you are in the countryside somewhere because Stonechats rarely come in to gardens in built up areas.

This is likely a bird attacking its reflection, protecting its territory. Quite common with garden birds such as Great or Blue Tits, Robin and others but first time I've heard of a Stonechat as they are usually quite shy.

No, it looks just the same now. The photo on my 2nd picture post with the nest matterial was only a few days ago.

I think it is a female. There is a male around but don't know if they are a pair or he has another female. Where do they nest, do you know?

Often when you go into the room she is just sitting on the window cill outside and you just see the top of her head, when she hears you, she sits up and looks in. Is this territorial behaviour?

Thanks for your help

I think it is a female. There is a male around but don't know if they are a pair or he has another female. Where do they nest, do you know?

Often when you go into the room she is just sitting on the window cill outside and you just see the top of her head, when she hears you, she sits up and looks in. Is this territorial behaviour?

Thanks for your help

Ah, now I see, I would think that the bird is simply reacting to possible threats then. You should be able to observe where she goes, if you keep a low profile, and see where the nest is. Probably in a low bush. I would imagine that the male you are seeing is her mate, he may be keeping more of distance, when you are looking, to distract you from nesting activities. Worth mentioning to keep well away from the nest to avoid the possibility of desertion.

I,vet had that for years with Long Tail Tits and Goldcrests.
I live in the depths of the country and these birds were being territorial against there own reflection.

Thanks for that. I cannot see over our back wall so did not know where she goes, so cannot see her all the time. She can never be far away as she nearly always appears when we go in the bedroom. Would the male sit on any eggs? We have a robin box under cover between the house and garage, is it possible that she would have nested in that last year? The birds abandoned it and when I cleaned it out they had left 5 eggs. Previous years Black Redstarts had nested in it but the nest was totally made differently. I have watched birds for many years so am careful not to disturb them.

Attached a photo of a male in the back ground.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0640-1 copy.pdf
    362.2 KB · Views: 7
Hi all.
I have an update to this -
We still have her tapping the window, some days more than others. I also worked out where she was nesting - about 3 meters over our back wall in a patch of wild bamboo. She came to our window one day with a beak full of food, so I understood she must have young, she also gave me a demonstration another day of how to catch a flying insect on the wing. I did see a magpie go to her nest one day and hoped any young were still safe, then a few days ago one single young appeared on our back wall but I have not seen it again. I imagine it has gone else where now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back