• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Stork, Extremadura (1 Viewer)

Lanhua

hello,

next week I'm going to Extremadura for bird photography and one of my target would be the Black Stork.
Looking on Internet for the pictures or checking Ebird for report, I've found that the at the mostly pictures, the birds are on the rocks, probably around Salto Del Gitano. also mostly reports are from this area.
My approach would be a picture of a Black Stork foraging somewhere on shallow water or wetland.
Could somebody give me a advise, where I can take such pictures.

Thanks

Mietek

Can't promise Black Stork but a very good wetland can be found at Arrocampo near Saucedilla and it might be good for the storks. I've visited a few times and have never been disappointed. Of course you can be sure of seeing them at Gypsy's Leap but it wouldn't be easy to see them foraging there. Good luck!

Car park, visitor centre at:

https://zoom.earth/#39.848729,-5.677003,16z,map

Last edited:
David, thanks for your response.
Arrocampo is on my schedule and I will go for sure there. Looking at some reports about birding in Extremadura, I understand, that there are few hides to see the birds. That sounds good.

Regards

Mietek

In 2017 there was a Black Stork nesting in Monfrague NP at which was also a good spot for Blue Rock Thrush, and several other species especially Vultures. Park at Salto del Gitano and look across to the other side of the lake, about 800m away.

++
I've found that the at the mostly pictures, the birds are on the rocks, probably around Salto Del Gitano. also mostly reports are from this area.

I think the reason that there aren't many photos on the net of Black Storks foraging is two-fold;

1. They are extremely wary and difficult to get anywhere near while feeding, especially in the breeding season. In fact I personally would avoid approaching, scope views are a bonus. Wintering birds in Coto Doñana, on the other hand, can be quite approachable.

2. Black Storks tend to feed in shallows in remote river valleys. often with difficult access and away from main roads - sticking well away from human activity.

Oops missed that original statement, just trying to be helpful!

I got some excellent photo opportunities but from a pro hide in Hungary. They were so close I couldn't fit the whole bird in the frame half the time.

Simon, I know, that Black Stork is a very shy bird and e.g. here in Germany, it's nesting only in a deep forest and not on rocks, at a well visible places, like in Extremadura.
Dave, Hungary by Bence?

Regards

Mietek

Dave, I used Sakertours hides, two years ago for Common Crane. Actually it was a Black Stork hide, but I was there in September, also to late for Black Stork.
I didn't get good pictures of Crane but fantastic images of White tailed and Eastern Imperial Eagle. For me a good place and nice people.

Regards

Mietek

Dave, I used Sakertours hides, two years ago for Common Crane. Actually it was a Black Stork hide, but I was there in September, also to late for Black Stork.
I didn't get good pictures of Crane but fantastic images of White tailed and Eastern Imperial Eagle. For me a good place and nice people.

Regards

Mietek

Definitely the most professional outfit I have used Mietek and I have used quite a few. Everything was top notch.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back