• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Imagic IS Binoculars (1 Viewer)

pete_gamby

Birds? What Birds?!
Well, as usual, they sort of escaped rather than being launched but we now have more information up on the website:

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars/imagic-is-binoculars

Deliveries are expected to start week commencing 21st October.

We have pre-orders from a wide range of UK and European dealers* so all these should have stock shortly after that date:

UK & Ireland

Cameraland
Carmarthen Camera Centre
Cley Spy Ltd
D H James Ltd
Focalpoint Optics Ltd
Focus Optics
In Focus (all shops)
Island Photo Centre (IW) Ltd
J & A Cameras
Lamberts Ltd
London Camera Exchange (Bath)
London Camera Exchange (Chichester)
London Camera Exchange (Reading)
London Camera Exchange (Southampton)
London Camera Exchange (Taunton)
London Camera Exchange (Winchester)
Potteric Carr Nature Reserve
Priddy's Ltd (A & B Photo)
R J Parker & Son
The Birders Store
Tring Astronomy Centre

The Netherlands

Foto Rooijmans
Vogelinformatiecentrum Texel

Sweden

Getteröbutiken
Gunnar Olssons Foto AB

* For the time being, these models will not be shipping outside the UK and Europe.

Cheers, Pete

Quite a niche market you're going for with these!
Their unique ability to resolve fine detail without the support of a tripod or mount means they can be used for quick and accurate inspection of cabling, connections, mortar and oxidation in a wide range of commercial structures.

I had a quick play with the preproduction samples at Birdfair. Unfortunately the view from the stand was entirely natural so I couldn't comment on rust and brickwork claims. ;)

For me at least, the stabillisation technology appeared to work better than the older Canon system at least, but that's probably not going to be the same for everyone. Optically I preferred the 10x. Were pretty light (534g), so my hands were less steady than they would be with my usual heavy 10x42s so the stabilisation benefit seemed greater. I should say I found the view wobble forma second or so as the IS mechanism got up to speed a little disconcerting, but all seemed fine after that.

I did have a look at the Viking verion later in the day, so not a side by side comparison. My impression was the IS worked just as well, but I thought the Opticron had the cleaner, sharper view. We'll need to see how the production samples perform.

David

Quick update on these. We will now be shipping to dealers next week (week commencing 28th October) and the updated UK stockist list is as follows:

UK & Ireland

Associated Photography
Bristol Cameras
Cameraland Cardiff
Carmarthen Camera Centre
Cley Spy Ltd
D H James Ltd
Focalpoint Optics Ltd
Focus Optics
In Focus (all shops)
Island Photo Centre (IoW) Ltd
J & A Cameras
Lamberts Ltd
London Camera Exchange (Bath)
London Camera Exchange (Chichester)
London Camera Exchange (London)
London Camera Exchange (Reading)
London Camera Exchange (Southampton)
London Camera Exchange (Taunton)
London Camera Exchange (Winchester)
Potteric Carr Nature Reserve
Priddy's Ltd (A & B Photo)
R J Parker & Son
The Birders Store
Tring Astronomy Centre
UK Optics Ltd
Wessex Photographic
York Camera Mart

European dealer list remains the same.

I had previously tried the 12x version and optically wasn't too impressed except the field of view and eye relief was good. I had rather dismissed the 10x seeing the point of IS as providing steadier higher magnification. I tried the 12x and 10x a couple of days ago and like David found the 10s to be optically superior and the version I'd go for. So give both a try if you're interested in these.

I'm planning to get some new IS bins to replace my Canon 10x42s which were too heavy for my ancient arms. The shortlist includes the Opticron 10x30. I've tried them in a shop and was quite impressed.

The other one on my shortlist is the Canon 12x36. I tried this out as well and also liked it. Unfortunately it was in a different shop, so I couldn't do a direct side by side comparison.

Has anyone got more substantial experience - particularly of the Opticrons?

Cheers

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back