• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fairly larger raptor at Frankfurt Airport (1 Viewer)

Allen S. Moore

Isle of Man
I had a 5 hour wait between flights at Frankfurt Airport on 3rd May. At one stage I saw a fairly large raptor over the far end of the airfield. It was too distant to be 100% sure, but it looked a bit like a Common Buzzard or a Marsh Harrier. Are those species in the area, or is it more likely to be something else?

(P.S. I am not wanting to identify the bird from possibilities, but I am curious as to what it might have been!)

The default raptor is certainly Common Buzzard. Red Kites are also likely in that type of "habitat".

I wouldn't really expect a Marsh Harrier around the airport, but can't be excluded of course.

Marsh and Hen Harriers are pretty common along airports though. The latter are probably gone now, but I certainly wouldn't exclude Marsh.

Cheers Maffong

That's a photo of a Red Kite!

Now after reading and watching images some more I concur - obviously the tail form and colour are kinda negotiable but counting feathers at the wing end helps...

Need to look closer on my pair when back but fishing all day seems more like black...

Joachim

Now after reading and watching images some more I concur - obviously the tail form and colour are kinda negotiable but counting feathers at the wing end helps...

Need to look closer on my pair when back but fishing all day seems more like black...

Joachim

The tail form and colour are totally not negotiable, that is a 100% red kite. A black kite is chocolate brown below, sometimes with a rufous tone and the tail lacks the obvious fork of the red kite. There are a dozen other differences starting with shape and size and going into flight and jizz. If you are unsure about identifieing confusion species, I would recommend the Helm guide to Bird identification, a very well written and illustrated guide to confusion species.

John.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back