Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Iveragh-where to watch chough?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 16:18   #1
Joern Lehmhus
Registered User
 
Joern Lehmhus's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,920
Iveragh-where to watch chough?

Hi, I am currently on a family holiday in Killorglin. Is there any possibility to see chough anywhere close?
Or if there is a reliable site on Dingle or Beara, that would also be interesting.


Concerning seabirds ,do I have a chance to see European storm petrel on a boat trip round the Skelligs?

Many thanks in advance,
Jrn
Joern Lehmhus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 21:22   #2
paul Robinson
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 590
I don't know a specific site in Kerry, but any headland with some cliffs and coastal fields should give you a decent chance of chough. Brandon Point might be near to you with chough.
Storm petrel is a possibility but it might be a bit early. Again, Brandon Point in a westerly or north westerly wind could give you something interesting.
I don't think there are red grouse in Kerry - you need to go to Wicklow.
regards
Paul
paul Robinson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 05:37   #3
Scridifer
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
Scridifer's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Byala/Essex
Posts: 10,013
Paul's advice is spot on Joern! Eric Dempsey & Michael O'Clerys' excellent book "Finding Birds in Ireland" gives Brandon Point as a reliable spot for chough and 'with suitable winds, one of the finest seawatching locations in Europe'! Good luck!

Chris
__________________
Latest Lifers: Manx Shearwater - Black Guillemot - Roseate Tern
My 2019 List
Latest Patch Tick: Wood Warbler
Scridifer is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 05:48   #4
WalterRayle
Emeritus Professor at the University of the Bearded Clam

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 62
You could try trickling Cod Liver Oil off the back of the boat as you go around in the boat, that should bring the Storm Petrels in to within range, and usually within minutes of doing so. I've done a lot of seawatching off the Co. Cork coast, usually in August, and had no problem seeing numbers of Storm Petrel during the day, one interesting thing about my sightings were that I only saw the petrels up to about midday, after that I didn't see any until nearer dusk.
WalterRayle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 14th July 2019, 20:30   #5
Joern Lehmhus
Registered User
 
Joern Lehmhus's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,920
Hi all, thanks for the advice!

I have seen Chough at Waterville ,walking the beach north of the village towards the low cliffs. One fly-over adult ,one fly-over juvenile and two adults flying around the cliffs. Added bonus was a mediterranean gull at the same beach and two whimbrel.

concerning boating trips they all goin the afternoon. Had one round the Skelligs with Manx shearwater, puffin , Gannet, razorbill, guillemot, black guillemot (the latter only at start and return in Portmagee),northern fulmar , shag, kittiwake, great blackbacked,lesser blackbacked,common and herring gull, a common bussard (near coast,flying overseebut straight to the nearest land),and a single small dark, whiterumped storm petrel with tail appearing square,but didnt see andy white band on the underwing. Not really sure what the latter was.

Walter,boat tours to watch birds seem to be all in the afternoon....

maybe I'll still try Brandon head,if i can convince the family .
Joern Lehmhus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 05:48   #6
WalterRayle
Emeritus Professor at the University of the Bearded Clam

 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 62
Not all birding boat trips go out in the afternoon, I did one with shearwater tours and that left first thing in the morning, we saw plenty of Stormies and a number of Wilson's too. My comments about seeing them in the morning referred to sea watching from land. Having looked back through some note books I have seen them from land during the afternoon too, but in nowhere near the numbers as the morning. There's a pretty good chance the petrel you saw was a Stormie. Going round the Skelligs I'm surprised there weren't more seen, should have tried the Cod Liver Oil trick.
WalterRayle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 05:48   #7
Pariah
Stealth Birder
 
Pariah's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joern Lehmhus View Post
Hi all, thanks for the advice!

I have seen Chough at Waterville ,walking the beach north of the village towards the low cliffs. One fly-over adult ,one fly-over juvenile and two adults flying around the cliffs. Added bonus was a mediterranean gull at the same beach and two whimbrel.

concerning boating trips they all goin the afternoon. Had one round the Skelligs with Manx shearwater, puffin , Gannet, razorbill, guillemot, black guillemot (the latter only at start and return in Portmagee),northern fulmar , shag, kittiwake, great blackbacked,lesser blackbacked,common and herring gull, a common bussard (near coast,flying overseebut straight to the nearest land),and a single small dark, whiterumped storm petrel with tail appearing square,but didnt see andy white band on the underwing. Not really sure what the latter was.

Walter,boat tours to watch birds seem to be all in the afternoon....

maybe I'll still try Brandon head,if i can convince the family .
You will need a scope if taking on Brandon.
Walk east along the cliff from the car park and position yourself here somewhere in a suitable hollow.

Dropped pin
Near Murirrigane, Co. Kerry, Ireland
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LQVvVMx23kwib9m97

Thursday in the North Westerly wind looks to be your best bet.

There's nothing for your family to do out there though, so abandon them in Dingle for the day.

As with all seawatching... early start is best. 7a.m onwards.

Wednesday will produce a South Westerly, in which case here is the place to be.

http://kerrybirding.blogspot.com/p/f...in-co.html?m=1

Best of luck.

Owen
__________________
My new blog http://helhathnobirdies.blogspot.fi
Twitter - https://twitter.com/birdingstandard
Check out the new Rare and Scarce Birds Ireland Facebook group exclusively for Irish birders. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1002951019867735/
Pariah is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 08:02   #8
Pariah
Stealth Birder
 
Pariah's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterRayle View Post
Not all birding boat trips go out in the afternoon, I did one with shearwater tours and that left first thing in the morning, we saw plenty of Stormies and a number of Wilson's too. My comments about seeing them in the morning referred to sea watching from land. Having looked back through some note books I have seen them from land during the afternoon too, but in nowhere near the numbers as the morning. There's a pretty good chance the petrel you saw was a Stormie. Going round the Skelligs I'm surprised there weren't more seen, should have tried the Cod Liver Oil trick.
Shearwater tours is, however, based out of west Cork. You could try and charter a boat out of Dingle, but it's very expensive and without chum, not much use.

If you can head south to west Cork for a day or two, and get on one of the whale watching tours it would be worthwhile, (shearwater wildlife tours not posting a pelagic date online until August I note).

Owen
__________________
My new blog http://helhathnobirdies.blogspot.fi
Twitter - https://twitter.com/birdingstandard
Check out the new Rare and Scarce Birds Ireland Facebook group exclusively for Irish birders. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1002951019867735/
Pariah is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 08:51   #9
Joern Lehmhus
Registered User
 
Joern Lehmhus's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,920
thanks again, but I didnt take the scope with me.

will try the 4h eco marine tour from Ventry, Dingle, tomorrow.

I will report what we see ....
Joern Lehmhus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 09:12   #10
Pariah
Stealth Birder
 
Pariah's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joern Lehmhus View Post
thanks again, but I didnt take the scope with me.

will try the 4h eco marine tour from Ventry, Dingle, tomorrow.

I will report what we see ....
If you're without a scope then don't waste your time with either seawatching site. You simply won't see anything.

Regards

Owen
__________________
My new blog http://helhathnobirdies.blogspot.fi
Twitter - https://twitter.com/birdingstandard
Check out the new Rare and Scarce Birds Ireland Facebook group exclusively for Irish birders. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1002951019867735/
Pariah is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 09:20   #11
Joern Lehmhus
Registered User
 
Joern Lehmhus's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
If you're without a scope then don't waste your time with either seawatching site. You simply won't see anything.

Regards

Owen
yes,I know! Thanks. but its nice to know the sites for a future visit....
Joern Lehmhus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chough in the Gower johnduplo Information Wanted 3 Sunday 3rd February 2019 10:47
chough kelvin.dunford Pembrokeshire 2 Saturday 23rd April 2011 09:45
UK National Whale and Dolphin Watch Week 2006 - Cumbria watch Martin Thomas Cetaceans & Marine Life 0 Thursday 10th August 2006 20:30
Chough, best places to see. The Raptor Information Wanted 15 Tuesday 29th November 2005 18:20
Chough Chough in Snowdonia!!! PaulAshton Information Wanted 11 Wednesday 17th September 2003 11:51

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.17719507 seconds with 24 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17.