• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new sigma 150-500 lens (1 Viewer)

mark richards

United Kingdom
some photos here , that i took over the weekend , I found that the lens is capable of taking good photos with a bit of tweaking in photoshop, found images to be soft without editing, I dont use sharpening in camera , i prefer to do my own in lightroom, camera is D300 , the lens seems best at the 400mark , the jackdaw and kestrel were about 60 to 80ft away, ...if you want to know more let me know.

Attachments

• _DSC3178.jpg
    _DSC3178.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 635
  • _DSC3161.jpg
    _DSC3161.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 531
  • _DSC3056.jpg
    _DSC3056.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 578
  • _DSC2980.jpg
    _DSC2980.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 542
  • _DSC2938.jpg
    _DSC2938.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 458
Wow, this is also a great example of good technique!

Mark, how would you compare the image quality to the 70-300VR? That's the one I currently use.

Wonderful pics, Mark! As a D300 user myself, I'm constantly trying to look at alternatives to my Sigma 400 mm f/5.6. But I have such good results with that lens that its tough to consider replacing w/ anything but a super-prime (f/2.8). Still, your pics suggest that this combo does work. Thanks for sharing!

thanks jourdaj, i wanted a walkaround lens ,i've got a 2.8 prime 300 manual lens plus1.4 conv & 600mm manual focus lens , fantastic lenses but not auto focus , so its all new to me , the 150-500 lens seems ok with a bit of processing in photoshop, not as sharp as my primes, but a lot cheaper,the sigma 180 macro lens that i use for butterflies & insects is a fantastic lens nice & pin sharp , thats sigmas ex range, dont know why they've got ex on the lens bag that it came with (150-500) because its not on the lens itself.

some photos here , that i took over the weekend , I found that the lens is capable of taking good photos with a bit of tweaking in photoshop, found images to be soft without editing, I dont use sharpening in camera , i prefer to do my own in lightroom, camera is D300 , the lens seems best at the 400mark , the jackdaw and kestrel were about 60 to 80ft away, ...if you want to know more let me know.
Hi Mark I have the 50-500 and find upping the contrast makes a big difference ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back