• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Searching? (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Steve et al,

I have a little problem, I logged on and clicked 'View New Posts' as usual to see posts placed since the last visit and got quite a healthy list. I was then called to tea and had to switch the computer off, I did not log out though. When I came back the list was gone and reduced to three posts. I tried the search utility asking for posts placed since yesterday with four asterisks as a wildcard cos i wanted all posts since yesterday and could'nt make it work. What is the way to do this?

I think the New Posts list resets after 15 minutes of no use.

Hopefully if Greenfields looks in he may be able to answer the search using wildcards query.

I'd find such a tool very useful too !

Just putting this note in to refresh this thread as it was posted during the changeover and some may have missed it. Any answers to the above?

This may explain why, when I look down the new posts list and stop to answer one, I go back and, as Andrew says, the list is down to 2 or 3.

Because the site isnt quite clever enough to work out when you close your browser window, or turn off your computer, it uses a 'active' system to determine whether you're still on the site, basically if you havent moved around the site for 15 minutes, you dissapear off the 'online' list, and when you return it is treated as a new visit.

The best solution is to train pets / partners / spouses / neighbours / mother in laws to sit at your 'puter and keep hitting refresh every 14 minutes.

Also, if replying to a thread is going to take more than 15 minutes, open up a second window and flick around the site.

I'll look into the wildcards now

Ollie

I'll get one of those pecking birds and position it over the refresh button! You know the ones that go for a glass o' water?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back