• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Check out this stain in the concrete (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
I am hoping it is not the result of a dead bird laying there. If it were, would it have to lay there a long time to produce this kind of stain? The weather had been dry and cold when this was taken. Taken close to a local lake I visit almost daily and had not seen any traces of a dead bird on any of the days preceding my find.

Attachments

• 112214BirdStain1b.jpg
    112214BirdStain1b.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 147
It looks like a bird to me. You might have a mega, mega KC. I kept thinking, I know that bird. Then it dawned on me--a blast from the past--Cuckoo Roller. Why would anyone remove the legs though?

I was thinking Kingfisher for some reason. Yeah, the missing legs made me think it was not a bird but just a damn good image of one. Too many park rangers around for anyone to try something that dastardly.

Close to Kingfisher, but not quite. I was thinking if it wasn't Cuckoo Roller, it was some Aussie bird that I just can't grasp.
Edit: Kookaburra, duh!

It's a mega, I'm telling you.;) I don't think it is really the imprint of the remnants a dead bird. I think it's just one of those images. Remember the Virgin Mary on the grilled cheese sandwich?

Definitely a Collared Puffbird. You should alert the local list- serve.

Puff Bird!!! You're right, Kratter! I kept reaching for something...the little ridgeline running the length of the crown kept bothering me. I think you have nailed it.
EDIT: Not ridgeline, I meant indentation.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back