• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best mid-price 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Gladiator96

Hi

looking to upgrade from my Nikon Monarch 5 to something better without spending too much money.

From what I've seen my main options are

• Vortex Viper HD
  • Zeiss Terra ED
  • Nikon Monarch 7 ATB

Most of my birding is in relatively open habitats including scanning the sky for raptors or seawatching, a wide FOV is important in this regard. The Nikon has the edge in this regard, at least on paper. However I would imagine the other 2 have higher quality lenses, as regards brightness and clarity (not sure about this). Just in case it's important, I don't wear glasses and usually fully extend the eye-cups.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Should I also be considering other options in the same price range like opticron, kowa or hawke?

Based on a no longer available very detailed you tube review and demonstration of the 8x42 Monarch 5 vs 7 and based on my limited comparison of the two side by side in 8x42 (not 10 sorry) the 5 has a brighter sharper more color saturated image and view is sharp all the way to the edge of FOV. On paper Monarch 7 in 10 x does have a much wider FOV than the 5 - 351' v 288' but image may be blurry and distorted at the edges like in the 8x. However, IMO a wider FOV is still very useful in birding even if not sharp all the way to the edge. Since the Monarch 7 FOV is as good as it gets in a 10x42 that may be you best choice in the range you are considering.
I own and use various Zeiss Terra, Vortex, Opticron, and Kowa. All are generally quite good for the money.
Some people get overwhelmed trying to decide. In a very common format like 10x42, it will be hard for you to go wrong as you have done your research.

Hope this helps.

I don't know that the Monarch 7 is that big an upgrade over the 5. I'd say the minimum increment actually worth upgrading for would be the Monarch HG 10x42. If you wait for promos like L.L. Bean's recurring 25% off sale, you could get it for around $750.

I don't know that the Monarch 7 is that big an upgrade over the 5. I'd say the minimum increment actually worth upgrading for would be the Monarch HG 10x42. If you wait for promos like L.L. Bean's recurring 25% off sale, you could get it for around $750.
I don't know that the MHG is worth almost 2x the price of the M7. The 10x42 MHG is nice though I had one. Big FOV and bright.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back