• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding alberta in early september (1 Viewer)

peachfront

Any suggestions or hotspots or birds to look for? Will be visiting Banff and Jasper, possibly Drumheller and Brooks for the dinosaur stuff. If you know of any good spots in the area, share your secret.

Peachfront,
Get ready for some great birding. Andrew's suggestion is a must. This is in the Kananaskis Country, just east of Banff. There are several other good sites in that area off Hwy 40 or 68 including Ptarmigan Cirque and Jumpingpound Creek.

Banff birding is typically good around the town including the Cave and Hot Springs, the Vermilion Lakes, and the picnic area just before the turnoff to the Vermilion Lakes (for Three-toed Woodpecker). On the route 93 to Jasper, stop off at Bow Summit. Then there's some good Alpine birding just before the columbia Icefields. In the town of Jasper at the gift shop in the Info center, you can buy a local guide book for birding spots in the park.

Drumheller itself is not much for birding but worth the visit for the museum and the countryside. I'd recommend Brooks (the town) for both the Lake Newell Park (excellent birding) and then the access to the Badlands at the Dinosaur Provincial Park. Best birding in the park is at the campground area.

Also lots of good birds in the Calgary area in both Weaselhead Park (tho much reduced this year due to earlier flooding) and the Fish Creek Provincial Park.

Enjoy your trip

Thanks, ya'll.

As it looks like there is hunting in the Brooks area, should I wear orange when birding there, as I might in certain areas of Louisiana, or would areas where hunting is allowed be plainly marked, as I noticed last fall in New Mexico?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back