• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beautiful iridescent bird (1 Viewer)

I recently saw a picture of a beautiful iridescent bird and wanted to know what it could be. It was mostly dark with shades of reddish and greenish. Its head was pretty much black with a yellow spot in front of the eye. It also had white edging on the end of the tail. It appeared that it may have had a bit of a crest. It was most certainly not a bird found in America but, in the picture, it was in some sort of pine tree. In case that gives any hints. Just curious because it was a beautiful bird. Thanks.

Hi, Strider! A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Doubt anyone could guess what this is without knowing at least the bird's native location. Any chance of you scanning the photo you saw and posting it here?

Another warm welcome to you, Strider! I'm a neighbor of yours, so to speak, in Fort Wayne.

Additional information will be a big help in trying to identify your beautiful mystery bird -- anything about size, what the beak looked like, length of tail, etc.?

Hope you enjoy yourself on the forums.

I'll try to find the picture again but, in shape and size, it reminded me of an eastern kingbird. As far as location, it was in a short-needled evergreen. I know it's pretty tough but I figured I'd see if anybody had any wild ideas. I'll try to find the picture though.

If you can't relocate the photo a drawing may help. Other than a species of Trogon/Quetzal (with their rather distinctive shape) I just can't think of a bird combining an iridescent body and white tail-edging. Perhaps I've just forgotten the obvious.

Last edited:
not a family that I know, but nothing similar within sturnidae family? Most of then are dark, some with iridescent shades, or yellow markings or crests. It may be an escaped bird.

Last edited:
canutus said:
not a family that I know, but nothing similar within sturnidae family?

But white tail edging, yellow spot in front of the eye & crest? BTW, also note that he just saw a photo of it and even mentions that it probably was something from a foreing country.

Rasmus Boegh said:
But white tail edging, yellow spot in front of the eye & crest? BTW, also note that he just saw a photo of it and even mentions that it probably was something from a foreing country.

Hi Rasmus,

I know that some species of Myna has white tail edging, other yellow spots in front of the eye and other crests, but what I dont know if there is any species with all these "features" together! That is why is said that Sturnidae is a family I am not familiar with (Actually I am not a expert with any family ;) )

Best regards from sunny Buenos Aires,

Cristian

strider1204 said:
I have found a friend that has the picture and he's going to e-mail it to me. How can I post it for all to see?

When you have clicked "reply" and is taken to the "reply-page". There is a button called "manage attachments" (see the screen capture I've attached). Click on it and choose the photo you want to upload. Once uploaded, close the small screen and submit the reply (which now should include the photo you uploaded). Anyway, if this fails for some reason - just mention it in a your post and we'll manage somehow. Do note that there is a limit to the size of the photos you can upload; if I remember right no photos above 200KB can be uploaded. I must admit that I am lookin forward to seeing what bird this can be...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 83
Me, too! Good upload instructions from Rasmus, thanks! Just want to mention that another easy way to size your image for uploading is to make sure no side is longer than 800 pixels, i.e. 800 x 800 or slightly less. If you need help, just yell. :t:

WOW! Whatever it is, it is beautiful and NOT from the USA (the limit of my familiarity).
I can't imagine this bird going unidentified for long though - it is very distinctive.

Maybe a Simulacra adobensis? :D

Weird how the wing coverts seem to cast a major shadow.

Last edited:
Would someone please be willing to pronounce that name? I think I am having a brain fart and just can't get it out--the name that is.

What a beaut!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back