• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN 823 digiscoping (1 Viewer)

talo01

Hello

Ik own a Kowa tsn 823 fluorite scoop, I want to go digiscoping with this scoop.
Secondhand i can buy a Casio 2800UX digital camera.
On the internet i want to buy a Kowa TSN-DA1 and a 43 mm adapterring.
Is this all that i need ?
I own a 32x and a 20-60x oculair, do i need seperate rings for this oculairs ?

Many thanks for your answers.

Hi Talo and welcome to BF

Your scope is certainly a good one for digiscoping, but I'm not so sure about the camera... the 8x optical zoom will almost certainly cause a lot of problems, it will be very tricky to avoid vingetting. The best bet is to look for a camera with a 3x optical zoom (I've yet to see a 3x zoom camera that does not work for digiscoping). It's also worth getting more MPs somewhere between 4-6mp seems good for digiscope. Big screens are a help as you will do all of your focusing using the LCD and a decent quality lens is vital.

talo01 said:
Hello

Ik own a Kowa tsn 823 fluorite scoop, I want to go digiscoping with this scoop.
Secondhand i can buy a Casio 2800UX digital camera.
On the internet i want to buy a Kowa TSN-DA1 and a 43 mm adapterring.
Is this all that i need ?
I own a 32x and a 20-60x oculair, do i need seperate rings for this oculairs ?

Many thanks for your answers.
Yes - I think problems lie ahead with this camera. Ideally you need to have a camera with only a 3x optical zoom and with a small front lens element. A very easy to use combination is the Fuji F30 with a USB-Griturn swing adapter. I'm sure this will work perfectly with the 30xW. If you run a search on this forum you'll find lots of information - also you could email SRB-Griturn as they are extraordinarily helpful.

Hi Talo

Can't comment on how the Kowa adaptor will work with that specific camera, but certainly if you are using the adaptor with a zoom lens you will need an extra add-on adaptor for that.

Personally I only use my Kowa for digiscoping with my fixed 21x WA lens. It made the scope adaptor cheaper, and the WA lens allows much more light in meaning faster shutter speeds. It is also better definition for the photo's.

Personally I use a Nikon CP4500, which has an internal 4x zoom and a thread on the fornt to attach directly to scope adaptor.

Hope this helps

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back