• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ohio Butterfly (1 Viewer)

rrybicki

Innocent bystander
United States
Hi All,

Can anyone help me identify this butterfly I snapped today at an old limestone quarry on the southern shore of Lake Erie? It was one of hundreds we saw on our walk. The identification sites I have visited suggest that it is a Checkered White, but I cannot find any photos of C.Whites that look all that similar (I'll admit I did not do all that exhaustive a search) ;)

The butterfly is very beautiful and I like the photo and want to post it on my Flicker site, but always prefer to correctly identify the subject.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Russ

Attachments

• DSC_2370.jpg
    DSC_2370.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I think the identity you've been given is probably the correct one.

It's a rather worn specimen and has a few reddish stains on the wings which might be the source of confusion.

Martin

I think the identity you've been given is probably the correct one.

It's a rather worn specimen and has a few reddish stains on the wings which might be the source of confusion.

Martin

That's exactly right Martin, Chequered White was the conclusion I came to but couldn't explain the red.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back