• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Antivirus -sorry if this has been done before (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Hello all,

Like an idiot I seem to have infected my PC with a virus; I stupidly clicked on a pop-up which looked like a Windows spyware/antivirus download and must have downloaded it.

Now every time I go on the web, every click links me back to this pathetic site trying to get me to buy it. It is called "XP Security center". It is porbably not a virus as such, more an advert, but I just don't know how to get rid.

I'm very naughty because I no longer have an AV software apart from basic Google and MS stuff.

What do I do now? I firstly need to get rid ofthis jobbie, then I need to get something onto my PC to protect me for the future - though I know I can't be protected form being stupid and clicking on an unsolicited link!

Thanks in advance

Sean

Similarly, my free anti-virus protection from AVG is about to expire. Anyone know of a good alternative - preferably free too!

John

Thanks Andy.

Just one more thing - given that this stupid programme is intercepting everything I go to on the net, how do I get to the site to bypass it?

Regards

Sean

If you run spyware doctor you should find the name of the malware / trojan causing the problem. The free version won't get rid if it though, AVG might but if you put the name into Google you should find plenty of suggestions, or let us know what it comes up with and I'll take a look around. In the meantime you could get a copy of Firefox, www.firefox.com and that will allow you to browse until the problem is sorted.

nope, though they may have stopped updating version 7 then, version 8 is available free

Rob

The original date was May 2008, but it's now been put back to December 2008; probably, (read last post here for more info)

AVG 8 will have a free version, but it won't be compatible with older operating systems like Win98 and Win Me.:C

Update - Spyware seems to have stopped the virus hijacking my internet connection, but it hasn't got rid of it.

The virus is Braviax.exe.

Spyware doctor keeps saying it has deleted four infections on startup and asks if I want it to delete braviax on next reboot. However, the pop-up appears on every startup then cancels, giving an error message.

It's not a major problem, but just annoying. Any ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks

Sean

I use a pay anti virus/firewall (McAfee Security Suite) but I also run a few freeware programs that might help. Spybot Search and Destroy has been around for ever and can be a bit "buggy" but does a nice job of removing spyware and other nasty stuff. Windows Defender is also free and is produced by Microsoft. It's not going to find everything, but what it does find it does a decent job of removing with out any complications. Adaware also has a free version which is very thorough and is very good at getting rid of what it finds. This is all free and I use all of them plus Spyware Blaster which helps on the preventative end so won't help you now, but once you get things all sorted out may help you from getting into this situation in the future. Like I said I have a high end security suite which I pay for, but I also use all of the "free" products I've listed above. I update them all and run a scan with all of them simultaneously about once a week or so. I do a lot on line and download quite a bit so I like to "clean house" and I've never had more than a very minor very temporary problem.

Hi all

Sorry to resurrect this one, but I've tried to download and install AVG twice but it fails to install.

Spyware keeps telling me it will get rid on next reboot, but it's still there.

Any ideas?

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back