• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

antivirus (1 Viewer)

Hi Ian

I used AVG for some time and it worked fine. However recently I found it slowed my laptop down so switched to Avast. However, I'm told that Avira is better, so may change again before too long.

Have a look in this thread for more information.

D

Hi Ian,
I've used AVG 8 and 9, but got tired of the performance hit. Now just using Microsoft's Security Essentials,
which is a free AV/Malware program from Microsoft, recommended among others by Jerry Pournelle, a very long time computer columnist, blogger and SF author.
It works well for me, but just to keep it honest, I run Malwarebytes about once a month.

AVG used to be the best free AV programme around, sadly that is no longer the case and I really wouldn't recommend it. Not only has it become bloated and therefore makes your system slower, but it also tends to suffer from a lot of false positives. As for the paid for version I haven't used it myself, but I suspect it suffers from the same problems as the free version.

There are far better alternatives out there, including Avast and Avira which are two of my personal favourites.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back