• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lonely Blackbird?? (1 Viewer)

ahinrichs

Ann Hinrichs
I have several male blackbirds in my garden all of which come to stuff their beaks with worms - which I provide - and fly off to (probably) feed their nesting mates.

However, since yesterday I have had one solo male bb which has been in the trees, singing the entire time. It doesn't come down to eat. It just perches on a high branch and sings. Constantly.

I wonder if it had a mate which it has lost and is perhaps advertising for a new mate.

Does anyone have any knowledge of such behaviour? It's really rather poignant.

Cheers - A

ahinrichs said:
I have several male blackbirds in my garden all of which come to stuff their beaks with worms - which I provide - and fly off to (probably) feed their nesting mates.

However, since yesterday I have had one solo male bb which has been in the trees, singing the entire time. It doesn't come down to eat. It just perches on a high branch and sings. Constantly.

I wonder if it had a mate which it has lost and is perhaps advertising for a new mate.

Does anyone have any knowledge of such behaviour? It's really rather poignant.

Cheers - A
its like all male birds,theyll sing all thru the spring regardless of them having
a mate or not,i hear them every morning.

Hi A,

Ian's right of course as they'll sing as much as possible, but I suspect yours comes down to feed at times, possibly early morning either before (surprising how soon they're about), in or after the main Dawn Chorus (beautiful at the moment, by the way) when you're sleeping. It possibly does the same at dusk as they're about the last ones flitting around.

True though that it could have lost it's mate and be singing to entice another asap, though it's difficult to be really sure. Maybe he's just thrilled to have an early spring and revelling in making babies! A difficult one to answer A, but I'll agree it must be a very poignant sight. Keep an eye on him though (which I'm sure you'll do anyway) and see what happens, but I'll bet a bob he feeds ok so try not to worry unduly. What it is to be passionate in our love of Birds, they worry us sick at times. Hopefully all will be well, but please let us know?

Good luck,

Sue.

Thanks Ian and Sue -

I'm sure he feeds at times but all my other male birds come immediately - and I mean IMMEDIATELY - when I walk out, expecting me to have worms....which I usually do. <G>

I find this particular male's behaviour quite unique. I've never had one which sings pretty much all the time.

I shall keep an eye on him. Or rather an ear cocked.....

ahinrichs said:
Thanks Ian and Sue -

I'm sure he feeds at times but all my other male birds come immediately - and I mean IMMEDIATELY - when I walk out, expecting me to have worms....which I usually do. <G>

I find this particular male's behaviour quite unique. I've never had one which sings pretty much all the time.

I shall keep an eye on him. Or rather an ear cocked.....
hi A
more than likely hes just warning other male blackbirds to keep away,
this is my patch,he will have a mate sitting on a nest somewhere.

Hi Ian -

I watch with great interest the antics of the male blackbirds, there's one who's the obvious dominant one, the one the others watch out for as they all jockey for position at the various bowls of mealworms I put out. My singing guy doesn't even enter the fray - he perches on high and sings and watches the others down below so I'm not so sure he's guarding a territory as all the others pay him absolutely no mind. That's one of the things I find so curious. He's still out there singing his little heart out even as I type. It's turned into a beautiful evening in my part of Bedfordshire...

ahinrichs said:
Hi Ian -

I watch with great interest the antics of the male blackbirds, there's one who's the obvious dominant one, the one the others watch out for as they all jockey for position at the various bowls of mealworms I put out. My singing guy doesn't even enter the fray - he perches on high and sings and watches the others down below so I'm not so sure he's guarding a territory as all the others pay him absolutely no mind. That's one of the things I find so curious. He's still out there singing his little heart out even as I type. It's turned into a beautiful evening in my part of Bedfordshire...
maybe hes telling the ones below to keep away

Ian Hamiltan said:
maybe hes telling the ones below to keep away

I don't think so - the others pay him absolutely no mind, just sqabble among themselves, each taking its turn grabbing worms. They are hilarious. But, of course, it's deadly serious to them....

Cheers - A

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back