Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tengmalms Owl - Orkney

Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 11:44   #76
pandion75

You would have thought that Mr Lowes might have put an appeal out on the Durness facebook page first, or asked someone else to do so,, guess what.... I am also struggling to find a registered keeper of birds of prey in the area of that name.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 11:52   #77
Paul Chapman

I had assumed that the faeces were not from the bird but rather suggested that the outhouse was used by other roosting domestic or wild birds. I don't want to add to speculation on location and had therefore not expressed that view before but I did not see it as a sign of length of stay.....

Zootierliste of course only includes some of the information from zoos and I have seen Tengmalm's and Hawk Owls in some surprising esoteric collections:-

https://www.zootierliste.de/en/?klas...03&art=2150208

https://www.zootierliste.de/en/?klas...03&art=2150301

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 11:52   #78
Steve Gantlett

Fake news aside, I think the current theory is that it's likely to be still there but somehow PH's hands are tied. If somebody were able to approach the landowner, even if it were security Airport, MOD or Port Authority land, and offered them 50 Quid a head to eg Children in Need just for very limited time access, it seems highly unlikely that would be turned down. It would be a public relations disaster.

Last edited by Steve Gantlett : Sunday 4th November 2018 at 11:53. Reason: missed out the word it
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 11:59   #79
pandion75

Steve, you must be joking,, if, as you suggest, it's on airport or mod land and someone accepted a "Bung" (for whatever reason) that would be a pr disaster, and a local would likely be looking for a job.....
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 13:02   #80
Steve Gantlett

I disagree. A PR disaster accepting 50 Quid a head for Children in Need just for brief access to a derelict toilet. I don't think so! But turning down thousands of pounds for Children in Need would be.

Last edited by Steve Gantlett : Sunday 4th November 2018 at 13:03. Reason: Added last sentence
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 13:27   #81
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

I don't think Steve is talking about a bung, rather a fund raising opportunity sanctioned by the landowner.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 14:41   #82
duncan fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandion75 View Post
You would have thought that Mr Lowes might have put an appeal out on the Durness facebook page first, or asked someone else to do so,, guess what.... I am also struggling to find a registered keeper of birds of prey in the area of that name.
Having once done some research for an article on escaped wildfowl, I got the distinct impression that most bird collections are unregistered, unregulated and lack any viewable list of what they contain. They are either secretive or just badly managed. No surprise that a collector is not listed - that seems to be the norm.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 17:20   #83
Bismarck Honeyeater

Email

I sent ‘John’ this email
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B18DC545-C542-4BED-9996-1843E1659691.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	679156  Click image for larger version

Name:	7E7CAD45-4827-4CCE-A495-2A4E4BA95BDD.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	679157  

BH
@birdingprof
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 17:22   #84
Bismarck Honeyeater

Just got this reply. Appears to me to be written by a different hand to the article submitted to the Orcadian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01FF21EF-F639-4C12-854B-D475F8A00CBE.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	679159  

BH
@birdingprof
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 17:34   #85
Andrew Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gantlett View Post
I disagree. A PR disaster accepting 50 Quid a head for Children in Need just for brief access to a derelict toilet. I don't think so! But turning down thousands of pounds for Children in Need would be.
Oh dear, this is getting weirder by the minute.

It would be great if public access could be arranged to this bird (if it’s wild) but just sounds so very very wrong to even suggest you can emotionally blackmail the toilet’s owners into arranging access by suggesting that the type of children's charities that benefit from the Children in Need appeal are going to miss out if they don’t!

Let me wonder what’s motivating you there - getting a tick?

Helping terminally ill children?

Ah, of course, both.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 17:37   #86
pandion75

Could "Mr lowes" provide an image or two of Harry? So that many hours of his time are not wasted. Details of Harry' s ring (if you can excuse the connection to toilets!!) Would also be of use!
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 18:16   #87
dan pointon
Can't Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clarke View Post
Oh dear, this is getting weirder by the minute.

It would be great if public access could be arranged to this bird (if it’s wild) but just sounds so very very wrong to even suggest you can emotionally blackmail the toilet’s owners into arranging access by suggesting that the type of children's charities that benefit from the Children in Need appeal are going to miss out if they don’t!

Let me wonder what’s motivating you there - getting a tick?

Helping terminally ill children?

Ah, of course, both.

Andrew, would it matter what the motive was so long as a charity benefited? Emotional blackmail seems the wrong term for suggesting its an opportunity to make money for charity? The other day I bought a bottle of coke 1p from which went to charity, my choice wasn't altered by this, just that I wanted a bottle of coke, I must admit the outcome of the 1p donation was not of interest to me. Should I have bought a different drink?
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 18:45   #88
Andrew Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan pointon View Post
Andrew, would it matter what the motive was so long as a charity benefited? Emotional blackmail seems the wrong term for suggesting its an opportunity to make money for charity? The other day I bought a bottle of coke 1p from which went to charity, my choice wasn't altered by this, just that I wanted a bottle of coke, I must admit the outcome of the 1p donation was not of interest to me. Should I have bought a different drink?
I don’t have a problem with twitchers raising money for charity and maybe emotional blackmail is the wrong phrase but can you not understand why I used it? Child line are going to miss out! What a load of bollocks.

There is quite simply no reason why the landowner(s) has to release news of this bird. We don’t know the circumstances. A well-managed twitch could indeed benefit the local economy, charities etc but that is hardly the motivation behind those who want to queue outside the toilet and see this bird.

And needing a drink (of Coke or whatever) is somewhat different to being tick-hungry. And talking liquid refreshments, rather than supporting Coca Cola, I can heartily recommend both the flavour and ethics behind Ubuntu Fairtrade cola.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 18:45   #89
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviewonder View Post
A Tengmalms Owl was stolen from the Owls Trust at Bodafon Farm Park in Llandudno a couple of days ago.

theowlstrust.org

Bodafon Farm Park @Bodafon_farm

Coincidence ?
Unless of course the "real story" is that a car accidentally drove into the aviary and released the bird, for it to subsequently take up residence on a building hundreds of miles from where the accident took place......

John
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 18:46   #90
Birdspotter

Loving this thread, more and more, with each post!!

You gotta love a desperate bunch o twitchers lol

Birding's a drug, you bird for the adrenalin rush of a rarity, you find one, then you need your next fix.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 19:18   #91
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clarke View Post
I don’t have a problem with twitchers raising money for charity and maybe emotional blackmail is the wrong phrase but can you not understand why I used it? Child line are going to miss out! What a load of bollocks.
Andrew

Yes. Emotional blackmail was the wrong phrase. Nothing wrong with differing motivations between those donating, those raising and those receiving. It is analogous to charity places at the London Marathon.

I believe Paul has explored the charity angle. I raised it with him yesterday. (Just as I did with Secret World when they failed to take the opportunity of the Yellow-nosed Albatross release.) He had already covered all bases. One of those things.

By the way, Childline and Children in Need are very different. The first is a service provided by the NSPCC and the second is a charity run by the BBC with their annual programme as an umbrella really. I know nothing about Fairtrade though.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Sunday 4th November 2018 at 19:27.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 19:20   #92
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdspotter View Post
Loving this thread, more and more, with each post!!

You gotta love a desperate bunch o twitchers lol
We need all the love we can get!

All the best

Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 19:30   #93
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Do we have any idea if the owl has been seen since Friday - the trail may be cooling considerably.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 19:38   #94
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
Yes. Emotional blackmail was the wrong phrase. Nothing wrong with differing motivations between those donating, those raising and those receiving.
Nothing wrong with exploring the possibility of opening access and the possibility of this being done to also raise money for charity, but it depends how it is approached - if done with the suggestion (hinted at above) that it 'would be a public relations disaster' if access was not given when money could be raised for Children in Need for example, then I do think there is an element of emotional blackmail.

That said, I have no doubt that the folk actually trying to open access are intelligent enough to not to frame it is such a way.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 19:47   #95
Jan-Paul Charteris
Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast

Speaking of charity and bad decisions, the Sussex booby has to be the classic. Raise enough money for a number of animals to survive, or pay to send it accross an ocean to snuff it?

Lovely though it is though, does anyone really want to tick a Tengmalms sitting on the bog? Has to be the oddest rare story since the Y-n Albert walking up the driveway

And for you Facebook birders, always good to get to know other birders https://www.facebook.com/jan.charteris?ref=tn_tnmn
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 20:05   #96
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Paul Charteris View Post
Lovely though it is though, does anyone really want to tick a Tengmalms sitting on the bog?
If it's a choice between that and never ticking one at all then yes, absolutely 100% yes!!
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 20:07   #97
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Nothing wrong with exploring the possibility of opening access and the possibility of this being done to also raise money for charity, but it depends how it is approached - if done with the suggestion (hinted at above) that it 'would be a public relations disaster' if access was not given when money could be raised for Children in Need for example, then I do think there is an element of emotional blackmail.

That said, I have no doubt that the folk actually trying to open access are intelligent enough to not to frame it is such a way.
Jos

I can't criticise. I spent the morning setting up a spoof website offering Orcadian toilet cleaning services in the hope of flushing out the location.......

All the best

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Sunday 4th November 2018 at 20:08. Reason: To add a pun
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 20:14   #98
peterbrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post

Absolutely right and emotional blackmail is the right phrase to use. The idea was certainly not philanthropic.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 20:22   #99
Jan-Paul Charteris
Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
If it's a choice between that and never ticking one at all then yes, absolutely 100% yes!!
Fair play

Tbh I once twitched a 4th for Britain moth in a pot in a mates fridge, so I'm in no position to judge

And for you Facebook birders, always good to get to know other birders https://www.facebook.com/jan.charteris?ref=tn_tnmn
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 20:23   #100
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrash View Post
Absolutely right and emotional blackmail is the right phrase to use. The idea was certainly not philanthropic.
A very narrow spectrum when anything that is not philanthropic is emotional blackmail. As I raised it with Paul yesterday, presumably that covers me as well.... I also made it clear that I would guarantee a minimum amount which presumably could attract further criticism.

Ho hum.

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Sunday 4th November 2018 at 20:27.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: