• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish airports Q (1 Viewer)

amears

Am planning a spring trip to Scotland and may end up driving in and out of either Glasgow or Edinburgh Airports, initially heading north. Will be avoiding the bank holiday weekends but may have to travel around rush hour times.

I know that traffic north of Glasgow A can be awful with a bridge and Loch Lomond causing bottlenecks. What's it like heading north out of Edinburgh A though? Any better...?

Thoughts appreciated,
Andy

Hi Andy. I drove past Glasgow airport last Spring and had no problems. You probably know there’s not too many overtaking spots so there are times when you just have to kick back and enjoy the drive.

Rich

Am planning a spring trip to Scotland and may end up driving in and out of either Glasgow or Edinburgh Airports, initially heading north. Will be avoiding the bank holiday weekends but may have to travel around rush hour times.

I know that traffic north of Glasgow A can be awful with a bridge and Loch Lomond causing bottlenecks. What's it like heading north out of Edinburgh A though? Any better...?

Thoughts appreciated,
Andy

What about flying up to Aberdeen and driving back from there Andy?

What's it like heading north out of Edinburgh A though? Any better...?

I'd go for Edinburgh. It can get real busy at peak hours, but once you are past the bridge, it should (roadworks allowing) be an easy drive. It can get a little sticky around Perth also, but once on the A9 it's a straight drive.

The Aberdeen airport suggestion is a good one though.

Aberdeen would be best and by next Spring,the new bypass around the city shall be ln operation,allowing quicker and better driving.

Thanks everyone. Thought I could spare you the gory details but I guess they might help - we'll be heading to the Hebs via Skye. Inverness would be ideal I know but the limited schedules are not ideal for what we want.

Have just checked and the drive time from Abs is very similar to E and G - so it's an option. All 3 are about equidistant from Uig. Will look at Aberdeen now...

Still interested in traffic tips around any of the 3 but you have given me quite a bit of info already - thanks again.

Thanks everyone. Thought I could spare you the gory details but I guess they might help - we'll be heading to the Hebs via Skye. Inverness would be ideal I know but the limited schedules are not ideal for what we want.

Have just checked and the drive time from Abs is very similar to E and G - so it's an option. All 3 are about equidistant from Uig. Will look at Aberdeen now...

Still interested in traffic tips around any of the 3 but you have given me quite a bit of info already - thanks again.

It should be a pretty easy drive from Aberdeen Airport towards Inverness. You're out of the city there and the airport is just a mile or two from the main road to Edinburgh. Traffic shouldn't be a problem most of the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back