• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kintyre Info Required (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
Hi All

We will be heading up to Scotland in September about halfway down the peninsula. Any info for good birding sites appreciated, we will be having a day trip to Islay so any recommended locations there appreciated as well. Also are there any Boat Trips people recommend either good ferries for the time of year or something more organised??

Thanks in advance

Paul

It perhaps depends on what you want to see. I don't know Kintyre that well but you might try Macrihanish for seawatching:
http://www.machrihanishbirdobservatory.org.uk/index.htm
West Loch Tarbert can be good for species like Black Guillemot, divers etc.

I know Islay quite well, but again it depends what you want to see. You will probably be too early for most geese, which generally arrive in early October. There could be a few around but you won't see large numbers (except Greylags and maybe a fair few Brent along the shore of Loch Indaal). Raptors should be fairly plentiful e.g. around Loch Gruinart or the road around Lossit Bay or up to Sanaigmore on the Rhinns. Choughs should be possible e.g. around Ardnave or Kilchoman. There's fairly good potential for rare waders and seabirds in Islay in September.

It perhaps depends on what you want to see. I don't know Kintyre that well but you might try Macrihanish for seawatching:
http://www.machrihanishbirdobservatory.org.uk/index.htm
West Loch Tarbert can be good for species like Black Guillemot, divers etc.

I know Islay quite well, but again it depends what you want to see. You will probably be too early for most geese, which generally arrive in early October. There could be a few around but you won't see large numbers (except Greylags and maybe a fair few Brent along the shore of Loch Indaal). Raptors should be fairly plentiful e.g. around Loch Gruinart or the road around Lossit Bay or up to Sanaigmore on the Rhinns. Choughs should be possible e.g. around Ardnave or Kilchoman. There's fairly good potential for rare waders and seabirds in Islay in September.
Thanks, very helpful, I thought we might be a bit early for winter stuff will probably have a couple of seawatches will there still be shearwaters going through be there around th 17th ?

Thanks, very helpful, I thought we might be a bit early for winter stuff will probably have a couple of seawatches will there still be shearwaters going through be there around th 17th ?

Should be yes. You should get Manx but Sooty is also possible, depending on conditions. Balearic is also reasonably regular in Argyll. Winds in the western quarter will be best.

I’ve had some good stuff from the Islay ferry - well worth doing for seabirds. Hundreds of manxies, several sooties and a long tailed skua on a crossing last week. I’ve had poms and Balearic shearwater in the past too. Should be loads of potential in mid September.

I’ve had some good stuff from the Islay ferry - well worth doing for seabirds. Hundreds of manxies, several sooties and a long tailed skua on a crossing last week. I’ve had poms and Balearic shearwater in the past too. Should be loads of potential in mid September.

Excellent thank you had good birds from ferries in the past especialy the outer Hebrides

Hi Paul

I've only been in the spring, so not much help with what birds might be around in the autumn.

Not too sure how long you're staying, but the run right down to the bottom was delightful. Down one side of the mull and back the other. On the east side you get lovely views of Arran. Skipness is a good place for a bit of culture, and there should be some wintering waders on the beach there.

Just stop and scope whenever you get a chance to pull in. The roads aren't too busy (less so at this time of year), except when the ferry has come in to Campbeltown from Ireland.... and don't forget to check out the hills, not just the sea.

Hi Paul

I've only been in the spring, so not much help with what birds might be around in the autumn.

Not too sure how long you're staying, but the run right down to the bottom was delightful. Down one side of the mull and back the other. On the east side you get lovely views of Arran. Skipness is a good place for a bit of culture, and there should be some wintering waders on the beach there.

Just stop and scope whenever you get a chance to pull in. The roads aren't too busy (less so at this time of year), except when the ferry has come in to Campbeltown from Ireland.... and don't forget to check out the hills, not just the sea.

Thanks Delia.

Hoping to see Eagles do they frequent the peninsula.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back