• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taking photos at night (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I'm don't think I'm doing nocturnal photography right. I have a Canon EoS 700D with a 100-400mm lens. If I try photographing in autofocus the camera lets out a few preliminary flashes and then fails to focus, so doesn't take a picture. If I try to use manual focus I can't see anything through the viewfinder to focus. So I just set the focus by estimating the distance the bird is away and setting this on the dial on the lens. Then I take a photo looking through the viewfinder, observe what is in the field of view when the flash goes off, and then adjust the direction of the lens with more photos until the poor bird is actually in the field of view.

I didn't do as badly as you might think like this in the Dominican Republic the other day but surely it can't be right. Is there a limit to the distance that my camera can focus at with a flash, or is there something wrong with it?

Attachments

• Ashy-faced Owl.jpg
    Ashy-faced Owl.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 140
Do you have a better beamer or something similar to "zoom" your flash output?

Otherwise, the energy reaching the target may be too little

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back